Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Survey for some students  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Survey for some students
« on: December 15, 2020, 02:37:05 pm »
Some college students have contacted me about a project they are working on to make a hive monitoring tool.  The survey is on Google.  I tried it to make sure there was nothing nefarious.  They would appreciate your input.

https://forms.gle/e8pi9DkhKZ1ppxnNA
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Survey for some students
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 07:18:04 pm »
Taken!   :smile:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 07:30:51 pm »
X2
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 07:47:11 pm »
Done
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 09:46:53 pm »
Submitted

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 07:06:24 am »
I took it, I'm curious the emphasis on temperature. How would temperature/distribution be useful for remote monitoring?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 08:28:19 am »
Matt,
For one thing, it would tell you the size of the brood area or lack there of.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 03:04:53 pm »
Done. :)

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 05:35:36 pm »
Servey is done.

Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 09:30:04 pm »
I think you could tell most everything that a sensor would tell you if you put a temperature sensor in the brood nest and one at the top and then analyzed the differences between those two and the fluctuations.  And you had a microphone and analyzed the sound.  The differences in temperatures and the fluctuations would tell you if it's a strong colony or a weak one.  Maybe even tell you if the top box is oocupied or not, which would tell if you need to add a super.  A weak colony has trouble maintaining a constant temperature in the brood nest.  The sound could tell you if they are being robbed, about to swarm, or are queenless.  You would need a computer probably to do a good analysis of those situations, but from having an observation hive in my living room I think you could program it to tell.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Survey for some students
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 10:18:26 pm »
Survey completed.
As for what data can be gathered, is helpful, and is of value: check out the graphs of some of these

https://map.beecounted.org/citizen_science/embedded_map
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

salvo

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 11:17:39 pm »
Done.

Sal

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 09:12:59 am »
Done.
I suppose they want all different levels of beeks.

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 10:30:22 am »
Survey completed.
As for what data can be gathered, is helpful, and is of value: check out the graphs of some of these

Wow !  That is the first time I ever really spent time looking at temperature data for a hive (looked at a Rochester NY hive). You really CAN see cluster movement. That is quite interesting!
I have been successfully avoiding spending the money for electronic hive monitoring. 
Darn you HoneyPump !  You're going to "make" me spend money!  :wink: :grin:
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 06:49:51 am »
Survey completed.

You can see them move up on this one. https://map.beecounted.org/hive/summary/h5LO

Pretty neat!  I could use it for sure. Tho it would be a different sort of experience, reading a graph vs reading a brood frame. especially at scale.

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 09:00:38 pm »
I took it, I'm curious the emphasis on temperature. How would temperature/distribution be useful for remote monitoring?
Matt,
For one thing, it would tell you the size of the brood area or lack there of.
Jim Altmiller
I think you could tell most everything that a sensor would tell you if you put a temperature sensor in the brood nest and one at the top and then analyzed the differences between those two and the fluctuations.  And you had a microphone and analyzed the sound.  The differences in temperatures and the fluctuations would tell you if it's a strong colony or a weak one. 

It's unreal what you can learn with a few sensors. Some kid turned me onto these Govee bluetooth temp/humidity sensors on Amazon for ~$14. I bought a couple, then decided to buy several more. I have one on my porch for a control. I have them on top of frames between sugar bricks, in 10-frame hives of several sizes/strengths as well as Lyson 6-frame poly nucs.

They make a WiFi model for about $35, but I decided I didn't need to be checking them all day from work or other places on earth. I can get a reading on some from my back door, and the rest from my kitchen window (they broadcast every 2 minutes). I have one strong colony that's cranked up heat and started brooding (pollen sub outside may have been a mistake, we'll see), and another that was started late and robbed. Don't think they would make it but now they are over a double-screen board enjoying a strong colony's heat. Admittedly, it's just nice to know everyone's alive without resorting to other methods.

I haven't aggregated any data or drawn any conclusions. Also, never even thought about the microphone thing so thanks Mr. Bush. I can tell you that if I would have made predictions about the temp/humidity of these hives I would have been wrong. Come to think of it, if I'd made predictions about anything bee-related, I'd be wrong so don't go by that. 

anything