Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dead apiary  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Dead apiary
« on: February 28, 2015, 05:04:31 pm »
Well, my last two hives died over winter.  I'm assuming from starvation, but after loosing a couple hives to AFB a couple seasons ago I took no chances and burned everything.  Last week I just about gave up.  I decided to sell everything I've acquired since becoming a beekeeper, including my sweet Mannlake radial extractor, and just throw in the towel.
My wife and I had a long conversation about it.  When I mentioned this to her, she almost seemed like she would start crying!  She said of all my hobbies, this one was her favorite.  She told me that when I started keeping bees, it changed me, as if it calmed me.  Of course she's right.  Everytime I go out to the bee yard with a lit smoker, I'm at peace.  For me, it's one of the only places I can find solitude and some harmony with the world.
So, I'm starting fresh.  Fresh hive hardware, ordered today from Western Bee Supply.  Every time I've reused a hive body, the hive installed never lasts a complete season.  Time to cycle the old stuff out.
I'm moving my apiary to a new location on my property.  My old spot was in a recessed area, up against the black berry patch.  I think it holds too much moisture there, so I'm placing them in my field, in full sun.
I guess you can say I've learned the hard way from my mistakes.  So anyway, I'm back!

-Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: Dead apiary
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 05:39:02 pm »
Some of us learn from our mistakes and some are destined to repeat them.

Me, I am to old to repeat my mistakes - there are just to many mistakes left out there for me to make, I have no time left to repeat my old ones.

Hang in there we have all lost hives but there really is something nice every time I am in my yard.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 06:04:17 pm »
Good luck, man!

Keep us posted.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 07:54:53 pm »
Been there back when Varoa first hit the US. Lost all six of my hives in one year after working hard building them up. I was a newbee and didn't have anywhere to go for information. Burned a lot of equipment, sold some and stopped bee keeping for a few years. That was 20 years ago and I am still glad I got back into it. DON'T GIVE UP !!!!!

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 10:06:25 pm »
I am absolutely astonished and incredulous, Sean.  I cannot believe that the hobby your wife most enjoys is not, after all, your banjo playing.  Nothing in the world makes sense now.

:cry:

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 10:30:53 pm »
Sean, I have had a bad time of it the last couple of years too.  Maybe it's something the PNW is going though  :sad:  have been fighting the yellowjackets and losing.  They have been thick with the last couple of mild winters.

spring is almost here and with it swarms.  hope springs eternal!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline CBT

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 11:14:33 pm »
A good beekeeper may lose Bees if caught off guard. Keep your peace in the hives on a regular ten day interval and stay ahead of the curve ball. Every one on this site wants to see you succeed.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 09:16:08 am »
I am absolutely astonished and incredulous, Sean.  I cannot believe that the hobby your wife most enjoys is not, after all, your banjo playing.  Nothing in the world makes sense now.

:cry:

hmmm... she ordered a new mute for his birthday...   :tongue:

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 07:41:25 pm »
next time you might send some bees to the usda lab I md. before you burn everything. they check for varorra & tracheal mites, nosema, & foulbrood & the service is free.
http://ars.usda.gov/main/site_main.htm?modecode=80-42-05-40

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 10:05:50 pm »
Sorry about your loss. I love good banjo music. We go to the smokies often when the festivals are cranked up. I am blown away at the 9 year banjo players. I'm also blown away by the big guys with 2 inch wide fingers who never fret wrong. Something about that culture up there produces a heck of a lot of musicians.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 02:06:25 am »
Something about that culture up there produces a heck of a lot of musicians.
I heard it's to do with the teeth or lack of them.

hmmm... she ordered a new mute for his birthday.
ahhh  so that's what a tonering is

Lone

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 03:23:35 am »
lone how are you and your bees long time no see
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 04:26:38 pm »
I lost my first couple of hives that were started from pkgs to big red ants then wax moths...I just kept trying...now I have a TBH (just swarmed today) and 2 Langs.  also have a "squirrel Box"  that is now a "bee box". A swarm moved in last summer and are still there.

dont give up.

anything