Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: OAV thru 1/2" pipe and torch?  (Read 2822 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
OAV thru 1/2" pipe and torch?
« on: October 09, 2014, 12:03:24 pm »
I don't want to buy a 125.00 vaporizer before confirming results of how effective this method is. I wanted to use the pipe and torch method this year and if all works out, buy the tool next year. My problem is that when I tried it, the vapor seemed to crystalize within seconds and cover the bees that were on the top of the frames with white crystals. I made a shim with a plexi-glass cover so I could see what was going on. Another thing was that in a video, the man said "look it doesn't even seem to be bothering them at all", and it didn't, but when I did it, they were obviously upset, trying to get out, but just the few on top.

I used 3/4" pipe because that is what I had on hand. Is 1/2" better?
Did I just heat it up too quickly?
I had a thought of if I did heat it too quick, then would a candle under the pipe get it hot enough to fume it?

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: OAV thru 1/2" pipe and torch?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 11:14:02 am »
OAV has been going on long enough that you only have to read to see results.   I see 2 problems with the pipe and torch.  1st is that you are to close so you should have a respirator on because a slight shift in the wind and you will get a dose.  It will take your breath away fast.   2nd is the place that your pipe enters the hive is going to be to high.  The hot acid vapors rise so ideally the best place to sbliminate is at the bottom board and let it rise to the top.    
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:31:50 pm by danno »

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:35:07 pm »
Danno, I am convinced enough by reading to make this method my first treatment. And maybe there is another reason for cheaping out on the torch method, and that being, money is a little tight right now. Wife warped head on van, daughter's b-day, 6 month auto insurance due, anniversary, all this month and not too mention Christmas right around corner, and work cutting all o.t. I'm not crying, I just made a different excuse, not to buy it this year and got called out. :-)
 Thanks for the info on the vapors rising.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 03:14:56 pm »
Have you ever looked into dribbling OA?

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 04:28:38 pm »
Have you ever looked into dribbling OA?

I have read about it and considered it after this first failed attempt, but I have my worries about hitting the queen with a squirt. And our temperatures are down in the 60's and I know I wouldn't want to get wet out there right now. If I were to use that method, I think I would get some sort of needle type sprayer, like a turkey baster to get an exact amount in between frames. Also I am not exactly sure if it dissolves in any temperature water.

On another note, I got some fittings and practiced a couple times and seem to have at least  gotten it to smoke longer. Put the heat more towards the exit end and brought the heat down. I'm sure  I need a lot more practice but I think I will get better.

anything