Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hornets>? Help!!!!  (Read 2602 times)

Offline labradorfarms

• House Bee
Hornets>? Help!!!!
« on: September 20, 2014, 08:20:00 pm »
Ok I was working my hive today and accidently set off some robbing.. I got that under control but before I left I noticed 2 or 3 hornets swooped in and carry away some Bees!!!!!!!!

What can I do?  Will robber screens help?????

Offline labradorfarms

• House Bee
Re: Hornets>? Help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 08:20:53 pm »
Should I go back tonight and put robber screens on?????

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 09:33:08 pm »
Robber screens will keep them out of the hive, but they will still likely pick off a half dozen or so in the air. I've never known them to get enough to  damage a colony.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline labradorfarms

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:33:43 pm »
Thanks
I went back right before dark. A few of the Bees were still fighting, but didn't see anymore hornets... I put a robber screen on my smallest hive.... I couldn't find my int reducer for my big hive. So , I just put a board in front ot the entrance and reduced it to about 2 or 3 inchs..

I will find my entrance reducer tomorrow so I can install a robber screen on it......

Im not crazy about robber screens they seem to cause traffic jams on a big hive.... But the way I look at its its better than a hornet freefall.

I wonder if they hornets will be back?  I intend to bait my hornet and yellow jacket traps back up.....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:49:31 pm by labradorfarms »

Offline labradorfarms

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 10:35:33 pm »
I don't worry that much about yellow jackets buy hornets are huge. These hornets would make 4 yellow jackets...

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 11:43:44 pm »
Next time you eat some tuna, leave some fish in the tuna can.  Put Sevin on the fish and put it up high where animals can't get to it.  Yellow jackets love tuna and will be poisoned.  DNR folks told me about this one. 

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 10:37:49 am »
one can use frontline the flea and tick med. one drop is all ya need mixed with tuna or cat food.

afix some thing to stop cats from eating

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 10:38:21 am »
Labrador,

I'm curious how do you bait hornets? We have these huge hornets (i think they're cicada hornets) and they've been attacking everything in my yard :Dragonflies, cicadas, beetles anything they can grab. I want them gone, but don't want to use raid.. because I'm not sure where they're coming from.
Bee patient with me... I just started this March of 2015..

You can follow my excursions on... www.candiebees.com

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 08:41:44 pm »
Cat food and one to two drops of frontline the flea and tick med

be sure to place where animals cant get it. like inside a bird cage

anything