Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A question about Small Cell  (Read 2811 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: A question about Small Cell
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 01:44:41 pm »
Yes we do have an abundance of feral bees.  Lots of corp of engineers land and state parks plus private land with hardwoods.  My bees are bringing in Elm and Maple pollen and maybe nectar, they are coming in with no pollen so I assume it is nectar.  The flow has just started.  As always "This is going to be the year"  :grin: :wink:

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: A question about Small Cell
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 03:16:10 pm »
Paus, the bees coming in with no pollen will have elongated abdomens if the bee is carrying nectar or water.  The loaded with nectar bees kind of make a rough landing on the entrance due to the added weight.  Loaded bees drag their elongated abdomen...  Paus, I have a feeling you already understand everything I just text, I doubt I can teach the teacher; but newbees might appreciate...

I believe it was Ace in a previous text (long ago) that stated bees loaded with nectar land like loaded cargo jets, whereas empty bees land smoothly like fighter jet.  I thought the analogy by Ace of bee to jets was an interesting way to describe.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.