Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question, switching hive locations to strengthen a weak hive??  (Read 2535 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Question, switching hive locations to strengthen a weak hive??
« on: January 22, 2019, 08:27:26 pm »
The question: If a person switches location of hive A, weak hive, with another strong hive called hive called hive B, WILL THE RETURNING FORAGERS FIGHT?  In others words, foragers from hive A will return to Hive B and visa a versa.

I have read about switching hive locations to strengthen a weak hive but I have never done such.  I realize there are several means of strengthening a weak hive.  But the question comes to mind, will the bees fight or accept the foragers from another relocated hive.

Another question comes to mind regarding a bees eyes. As we know, honey bees have 5, five eyes: 2 two large oblivious eyes and 3 tiny eyes.  The tiny eyes are of question: with a drone the tiny eyes are positioned in the front of the head granting frontal vision whereas the queen and workers tiny eyes are on top of the head.  I have studied the tiny eyes are for NIGHT vision.  So why the eyes on top of the head of the females; this would allow vision above, not frontal viewing which is puzzling to me.  Not sure there is a bonafied answer here so I am asking for your best shot.
Warmth and Sunshine to All.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
Re: Question, switching hive locations to strengthen a weak hive??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 08:50:29 pm »
First question,
I have done this a few times and it works pretty well. If your hives are in a row the end hive will end up the heaviest from heavy laden foragers just stopping at the first available hive and as long as they are bearing gifts the guards let them pass. Take the heaviest hive and swap with the lightest, and if there is a flow on the weight gain will be noticeable in a week or so. Never had any fighting that I noticed.

Second, as I recall the ocelli or simple eyes are for fixing the sun's position and therefore help in navigation. I question that bees have much night vision at all. They get around in the total darkness of the hive by scent and touch.

Hope that was helpful, maybe someone with much more experience can weigh in. :smile:
Neill

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 09:19:05 pm »
I use the swap hive regularly to balance population of hives. It works.

I know nothing about the eyes, but I have seen people get stung 50 feet from the hive on a dark night when standing still. "Not moving". I am thinking they have some night vision, tho how much I have no idea.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 09:33:59 pm »
Herb: Second, as I recall the ocelli or simple eyes are for fixing the sun's position and therefore help in navigation.

Yes, I have read the same.  Would explain the triangle position of the tiny eyes.  Good an answer as any.

Yes Sir, ID, Stung in the dark???  I would hate to mess with those bees in daylight.

I find: the more I know about honeybees, the less I understand.

Van from Arkansas
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 10:56:55 pm »
As in most of life attitude is everything.  A forager returning home loaded with water, pollen or nectar is allowed in with no problem.  A bee sneaking in to steal has a whole different demeanor and is met with resistence.  It is important to do it mid day when many foragers are out for your weak hive to get a meaningful boost. 

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 11:02:45 pm »
Speaking of night vision, honey bees possess ultraviolet light vision which afford some night vision.  I flashed a red laser at the entrance of an active hive from just a few feet.  The guard bees did not notice the red laser, no reaction to a super bright spot which one would predetermine this with a creature possessing ultra violet vision.  Red is at the opposite end of the spectrum so this makes sense.  Try a red laser for yourself.  Blue to a honey bee is very bright, as is hunters orange to a person.

For comparison deer also have ultraviolet vision and cannot see hunter orange or red.  However blue jeans would shine to a deer.

But how well can a bee see at night, I do not know...  Enough to sting a fella 50 ft away according to the Master.
Van from Arkansas

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 06:28:15 am »
Don?t be surprised if one bee out of all your hives comes out to the red light. From my experience, one out of a million bees can see red light. There is always the exception to the rule. I use small red lights to close up my hives for transport and there is always one or two that comes to the light.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 08:07:20 am »
Van, I have only tried shifting colony locations three times and each time I had fighting at the entrances and one of the colonies would become queenless.  The times I tried the procedure was in the month of April and perhaps the nectar flow was not strong enough for the foragers to be passed by the guard bees.  I decided that moving frames of older larvae or sealed brood with attached bees to equalize colony populations worked better for me.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 08:36:17 am »
I am thinking they have some night vision, tho how much I have no idea.
It would seem to me that they have good night vision.  Don't they see infrared?  A human would be a beacon in the night.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 04:32:35 pm »
It would seem to me that they have good night vision.  Don't they see infrared?  A human would be a beacon in the night.

That makes sense. :smile:
Neill

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 08:10:04 pm »
Infrared is at the lower end of the light frequency. Bees see mostly in the upper end of the light frequency spectrum,  ultraviolet.
Funny thing is that most nocturnal animals see mostly in the upper spectrum not the lower spectrum.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 11:08:05 am »
OK so they are seeing the ultraviolet which we can't see.  I guess my point is we are in the dark but they aren't.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it