Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best beginner bees?  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Duc Duck Doc

• New Bee
Best beginner bees?
« on: January 21, 2019, 10:18:31 am »
Hi there! I'm brand new to beekeeping - 3 weeks into my first beekeeping class here in Chatham County, NC. I'm overwhelmed by the information available, most of which seems contradictory. I have read of the benefits of Russian bees, but folks here have said they can be aggressive. Furthermore, since everyone in the area has Italian bees, it is extremely likely that any virgin queen who eventually emerges from my hive (yes, I know, way down the line!) will result in hybridized bees. Should I just follow the herd into Italian bees? Thanks!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Best beginner bees?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:01:55 pm »
In a couple of years your bees will be Italian hybrid mutts, so you may as well start there.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 12:20:05 pm »
I agree with iddee.  It only really matters if you are going to breed queens for sale.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 12:30:21 pm »
Locally sourced bees that have survived local conditions are the best bees for beginners,  IMO.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 07:47:39 pm »
A lot of good advice. Stick with local bees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 09:29:20 am »
>I'm overwhelmed by the information available, most of which seems contradictory.

You should probably get used to that...

>I have read of the benefits of Russian bees, but folks here have said they can be aggressive. Furthermore, since everyone in the area has Italian bees, it is extremely likely that any virgin queen who eventually emerges from my hive (yes, I know, way down the line!) will result in hybridized bees. Should I just follow the herd into Italian bees? Thanks!

Changing the race of bees is the easiest thing in beekeeping to change.  I would not lose a lot of sleep over it.  But if you can get local mutts, that's what I would do.  If you can't, I like Carniolans.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 01:21:15 pm »
I agree with Mr. Bush.  This is what I have done and in a year or two after getting ,what are probably commercial swarms, the hives generally turn into the feral black bee that is prevalent in my neck of the woods.  I love them they are a lot like me hardheaded and protective.  I am going foundationless and treatment free, they seem to thrive this way  and the hives are doing well.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 06:02:32 pm »
There are more differences from colony to colony than from race to race.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesraces.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 06:20:57 pm »
So always make Q's. From best survivors in yard?

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 11:04:48 pm »
My experience with Russians has not been good.  In fact some of the outcrossed colonies after swarming or supercedure were down right vicious.  A mean hive is not a good one to learn with.  You just won't spend a lot of time with the colony open.  That can be a good thing.  But Carniolans are mostly little kittens with wings that make a good honey crop, but then they swarm the next spring.  That being said, Italians are readily available everywhere for a reason.  They have the variability Mr. Bush speaks of but they are selected by the majority of beekeepers.  Local mutts are the way to go if they are available to you.