Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: One or Two Cold Nights  (Read 4550 times)

Offline seanconnery

• New Bee
    • Ihor Pona Architectural Photography
Re: One or Two Cold Nights
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 02:13:07 pm »
The FLIR Pro was $360 on eBay this past summer.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 06:20:06 pm »
Thanks. A little rich for my wallet.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 09:36:38 pm »
Thanks. A little rich for my wallet.
Jim

Jim you might want to google seek. I am thinking their basic phone compatible version is , or was around $189.00, that was when I was looking into them a while ago. 
I never looked any further when I learned to do splits. I did enough cut outs to get a good start. If I was doing cutouts regulary, I would "have" to have one simply for the luxury of it...
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 09:40:35 pm »
How do you guys and gals in these cold areas determine when a hive is dead without going through a lot of trouble?
Snow does not melt away from the entrance or produce vapor in the top vent.  Having more then one active hive will give you a reference.  If you put a butt thermometer in the vent you would see a big difference between the ambient temperature.

A thermometer at the vent should work good Ace. I really think you would like the inferred thermometer. Instant results.   
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:42:59 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 08:59:02 am »
Maybe the ones from HD would work for around 20 bucks.  The colder the ambient is the more likely it will work.  A Thermometer or prob inside the top of the hive will always work.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 11:58:22 am »
Maybe the ones from HD would work for around 20 bucks.  The colder the ambient is the more likely it will work.  A Thermometer or prob inside the top of the hive will always work.

Ace, how are you liking your new home in Florida? All settled in?

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 11:07:00 pm »
 Just received my new Harbor Freight "Merry Christmas Sale" catalog.  :wink: Ames infrared laser thermometer for $17.99. Will that do the job of checking hive temp for cluster position?
jimmy

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2018, 12:33:40 am »
Just received my new Harbor Freight "Merry Christmas Sale" catalog.  :wink: Ames infrared laser thermometer for $17.99. Will that do the job of checking hive temp for cluster position?

Prehaps if you shot the laser beam straight through the vent hole into the cluster it might? What I am sure it will do, for example; if you are wanting to know if your hive is living, you can simply shoot the laser beam at the opening or maybe even the outside wall of  the hive itself, and you should receive a temperature that is (higher) than the outside temperature verses the ground , a tree, for example. As I stated earlier, it was very helpful in locating the main part of the cut out hives through the wall. It was a few degrees higher on the wall where the cluster was located, but did not give me the true tempature of the cluster itself, being the laser beam was shot on the outside of the wall. As far as a true hive tempature, I would think, could only be obtained, with a thermometer placed behind the wall within the cluster. Or in your case within the hive. I would think that Ace's method will probably give you the most accurate inside temperature. But again, If you want to know if your hive is living, it should be a very handy tool. Simply walk by, shoot the laser beam and read the tempature.  If higher than other outside objects, your hive is living. If tempature is the same, I would think dead hive.
Thanks Phillip
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:56:33 am by Ben Framed »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2018, 12:59:32 am »
I have a question, does anyone know what the inside hive cluster tempature is generally maintained by the bees during winter months. Say Mid-America?
Thanks Phillip

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2018, 08:28:32 am »
Phillip,
The bees will keep the inside of cluster at between 93 to 95 degrees F.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2018, 08:41:52 am »
The temperature varies from the center of the brood nest to the wall of the hive.  A thermometer inside a top vet will only be a few degrees warmer then ambient.  It is no where near the brood nest at the beginning of winter.  There are IR photos all over the net depicting temperatures all over the hive.  It has even been done with probes.  Google it.
All settled in Ben, weather is paradise.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2018, 11:12:14 am »
All settled in Ben, weather is paradise.

I can only Imagine!!! 👍🏻😁

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2018, 12:33:22 pm »
Phillip,
The bees will keep the inside of cluster at between 93 to 95 degrees F.
Jim

Thanks Jim, that is amazing to me that they are able to do this . 
Phillip Hall

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2018, 02:08:14 pm »
What is even more amazing is that they do it with very little honey.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2018, 12:43:05 pm »
>I have a question, does anyone know what the inside hive cluster tempature is generally maintained by the bees during winter months. Say Mid-America?

When they are not rearing brood (and they often are) the temperature is around 70F   When they are rearing brood it's 93F.  They usually raise a small batch of brood right around new years and after taking a break another one in February or March.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2018, 07:18:34 pm »
Over here they start raising broods after Dec. 26th.  With the newly mated after the solstice queens, they will
lay small patches of broods all winter long.  It is something to keep the brood nest going until the Spring.  With good flying weather the
old bees disappeared really fast.  If they cannot keep up with the new winter bees then the hive is doom over time.  A one or 2 cold nights will
not bother them that much.