Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hurricane Florence  (Read 2197 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Hurricane Florence
« on: September 13, 2018, 10:03:04 am »
For those in North and South Carolina, please keep yourselves safe and out of the way of this storm. If your hives are in a high area, strap each hive individually and then strap them down to the ground with anchors. If they are not on high ground and you do not have the ability or time to move them I would at least put straps to hold them together. If they float away they will bee easier to find. You can also tie a rope to the straps and anchor them to a tree.
I hoping for the best for all of you and my prayers are with you all.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: Hurricane Florence
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 10:35:46 am »
Double the last sentence.
Blessings

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 07:46:10 pm »
We're strapped down tight. We're on high ground,  but pine trees have a small root ball so fall easy .

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 10:59:27 pm »
Please keep us informed Mr. Mikey.  I hope you only report rain.
Blessings

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 11:58:03 pm »
We're strapped down tight. We're on high ground,  but pine trees have a small root ball so fall easy .
Mickey,
What type of pine trees do you have. Ours are yellow pine. A 6 foot tall pine already has 18 inch deep roots. My 75 foot trees have roots over 10 feet deep. They may snap but they do not plug up the roots.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Robsc

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 11:06:15 am »
I went ahead and strapped mine down and made sure they were leaning forward just in case. We will probably get a lot of rain. The real danger will be from the tornado risk.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 02:43:39 pm »
Here in the sand hills, top soil 6-8" is mostly sand. Loblolly and long leaf pines have long tap roots, so with saturated sand top trees tend to fall. Flo. Moved a little south, 25-35 mph. winds. But tornadoes are popping up.
Some reports of 4 1/2 inches of rain an hour.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 02:50:41 pm »
Mickey,
Good luck with that much rain. I have had 2 hours of 4 inches of rain per hour after 2 days of rain. Roads turn into rivers. Neighbors yard had 5 feet of water where we never saw  it flood before. My front yard turns into a major stream.
Hope Florence moves off soon.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 04:56:04 pm »
Still have alot of bands of rain, until tomorrow night. Just hope driveway holds up. (Gravel)

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 08:45:41 pm »
Mickey, or anybody, can you tell me how much rain you have?  Looks like the hurricane has just stalled over Carolina, dumping lots of rain.....  causes me concern...  I just want to make sure there is not a repeat of Houston, that is five foot of rain.
Blessings

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 09:09:10 pm »
We have about. 8" so far,  but calling for 2-4 inches an hour.  For 6 hrs.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 11:28:15 pm »
We have about. 8" so far,  but calling for 2-4 inches an hour.  For 6 hrs.

I Just hope all turned out ok for you and our other members as well?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 01:10:02 am »
Did anyone here get the estimated 25 to 30 inches of rain? Did every house flood with that much rain?
I consider my houses pretty much flood proof but I wonder if they could handle that much rain and not flood.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 02:27:50 pm »
Over here in the mountains we were supposed to get 4-8 inches and it didn't hardly rain at all!  It just sort of misted a little at times during the day, but that was it.  We were totally spared.  It was kind of funny, we did all this prep around the house, brining in the lawn chairs, and getting stuff of the porch, and strapping the hives down really well in case it got windy, and absolutely nothing happened.  Hope everybody out in the piedmont and on the coast is ok. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 07:12:41 pm »
Member, good for you, count your Blessings.

Maybe of interest to you {GRB 060614} a white hole in space, multiverse.  Off subject matter, so I must stop.
Blessings

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 07:25:42 pm »
All is well here in the Piedmont. Nice breeze, good garden watering, then sunshine.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 07:46:31 pm »
Member and Iddee,
Glad you are both ok and no damage.
When Hurricane Irma came through FL, the eye went straight over me here at the farm. 10 inches of rain but very little damage from the wind. Jacksonville is 40-50 miles to the east and they had severe damage, trees down everywhere and tons of debris. It took over 6 months to get all of the debris removed. A lot of roofs were damaged.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 08:27:27 pm »
Very, very lucky here in the sandhills!  Lots of downed limbs, very few trees. Never seen so much rain. Lucky to be on high ground, but all low ground around us turned into rivers .  Prayers needed for all those.  So many roads and bridges washed out.  Ya have to go around your elbow to get to you know where. Everyone will keep on keeping on it brings people together.