Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does hive body paint make any difference, see pic,  (Read 1842 times)

Van, Arkansas, USA

Does hive body paint make any difference, see pic,
« on: August 26, 2018, 01:41:55 pm »
The bearded deep hive body on the bottom deep is common outdoor paint.  The second deep, green, is an acrylic mold and mildew resistant paint.  Picture taken July 2018.  The green hive body, second deep, was painted the previous February.

The bees sure drew a line on the mold resistant paint.  Any ideas why?

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Does hive body paint make any difference, see pic,
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 02:03:49 pm »
No clue, but that's pretty amazing.  Since bees have a sense of smell that would apparently put a bloodhoud to shame, the answer may lie there.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 03:20:41 pm »
One way to make paint mold resistant is to put on table spoon of bleach in a gallon of water base paint.  I bet the bees can smell it.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 03:33:29 pm »
One way to make paint mold resistant is to put on table spoon of bleach in a gallon of water base paint.  I bet the bees can smell it.

Bleach doesn?t keep bees away from sugar syrup.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 05:38:15 pm »
they probably found the anti-mildew chemicals to be disagreeable.
Sort of like me when I'm in a room with burning scented candles  barf
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 08:03:09 pm »
I just took a look at my hives and one is doing the same thing. Bearding on the front which stops at the next box. Nothing freshly painted on the hive so guess they just decided to stop at the seam. Maybe one paint is a flat finish and the other a satin or glossy. IDK

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 08:53:20 pm »
Hops, sort of off subject, but does a vanilla scented candle disagree with you, or all scented candles??  Agreed some are noxious, but not vanilla, to me anyway.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 07:54:03 am »
Van,
I think they put zinc particles in paint to retard mold. That might cause the bees to avoid it. Down here, mold grows on old roofs. Where there are galvanized metal vents, you will see a clear area below the vents due to the zinc wearing off.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 08:37:39 am »
Van, what about the inside situation? When you look inside are the bees crawling on the inside walls of the green box?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 08:44:37 am »
Van there is a couple of ways to look at this.  Is it the repulsion of the green deep or the attraction of the one below it?  Even though most flowers produce nectar the bees may choose one over the other.  If you put ice cream in a blue bowl and broccoli in a white bowl most likely the favored colored bowl would be blue but not because it is blue.

I don't like burning candles, scented or not.  Church candles (made from bees wax) is about all I can handle.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 10:00:06 am »
Van, what about the inside situation? When you look inside are the bees crawling on the inside walls of the green box?

Mr. Ben, bees are all over the inside, no difference, lots of bees, everywhere.  This is a strong crowded hive.  I did place a vent in this hive {2nd green box, back of box}to see if airflow reduced bearding.  The vent made no difference on bearding.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 10:41:22 am »
Hops, sort of off subject, but does a vanilla scented candle disagree with you, or all scented candles??  Agreed some are noxious, but not vanilla, to me anyway.
Any candle with artificial scents,..  Far too heavily scented and when they are burning it's very overpowering.  especially in a closed room.  My eyes burn, nose itches,  I start coughing. .. I've ended promising dates over that...  3 or 4 wicks to burn that stuff?!?  GAG!!!

The few remaining naturally scented candles can be pleasant.  Maybe a smidgen of pine oil or  lilac oil.
Nothing like the scent of natural, fresh beeswax candles, though.

Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.