Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Larvae on top of frames  (Read 2262 times)

Offline LynnM

• Brood
Larvae on top of frames
« on: June 29, 2018, 12:06:59 pm »
Hello-
I am a new beekeeper in VT, and as such, I have a lot of questions! I also belong to our local beekeepers forums, but I was looking at your website and saw some similar questions as the one I have, so I thought I'd give this a go also.
When inspecting my new (almost 2 month old) package, (which now has two brood chambers on it,) I noticed there was larvae on top of the frames of the lower brood box. I am going to add a honey super on tomorrow because the top box has some lovely pollen and capped honey, but can someone please tell me why there would be larvae on top of the frames in the lower chamber?
Thank you for your support!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Larvae on top of frames
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 04:15:38 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
I suspect you are using foundation in all of your frames. If so they are probably all large cell worker brood cells. This leaves no room for the bees to make drone cells. The bees will use any space available to make drone brood. When the hive gets to a certain strength they want to make drones to send out and spread their genes.
Sounds like you have a good strong hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Larvae on top of frames
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 08:20:44 pm »
Welcome  :happy:.

What sawdstmakr said.

Some bees like to fill any extra space with brood.  Just like some like to propolise everything.  Just like some like to build burr comb.

anything