Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small hive beetle greese  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Small hive beetle greese
« on: June 28, 2018, 06:48:27 am »
Quote  from Jim
Re: My never wet beetle barrier trial
? Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 07:59:56 am ?
Small Hive Beetle Grease
Here is a formula for making Small hive Beetle Grease. I typed it in so that it is easier to copy and use. I have not used it yet but I will be trying it out soon. I was told to mix the Ingredients in a bowl and then make 1/2? round strips and place one them on top of a frame. I?m not sure of the size/amount so if someone from Beefest 2018 remembers, please correct me. I guess the best thing to do is to divide the resulting mixture up into 22 sections and put one in each hive.
I was told by 3 beekeepers from the Clay County Club that in three weeks you will not see any beetles in your hive.
It sounds like it is worth trying.
Full Batch (90 hives)   1/2 Batch (45 Hives)   1/4 Batch (22 hives)
4 lbs sugar   2 lbs sugar   1 lbs sugar
1.5 lbs Crisco   12 oz Crisco   6 oz Crisco
1 lb honey   8 oz honey   4 oz honey
2 1/2 oz Wintergreen Oil   1 1/4 oz Wintergreen Oil   .625 oz Wintergreen Oil
Jim

Jim Have you tried this yet? How is this working out for you? Thanks Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Small hive beetle greese
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 10:21:17 am »
Speaking from no experience with beetle bait, this sounds like beetle supplement.  I have just started to use a beetle bait to place in my oil pans.  I add boric acid to the bait and am considering sprinkling DE on the bottom of oil pan.  If this works as well as oil or soapy water it would a Blessing, and not near as messy as oil.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 11:42:26 am »
Phillip,
I put some grease in about 4 hives, he ones that I found beetles in. I rarely find any beetles in my hives this year. Never in any numbers that I have to worry about.
Up until yesterday my bees were all in full sun from noon on. That is a major factor. I just moved all my production hives into Jacksonville and they are in full sun during the middle of the day. Hopefully I will not have any problems.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 11:51:18 am »
Paus,
If you are adding boric acid to your bait, in the oil tray, how are you making sure the SHBs do not crawl back into the hive. If you are using oil that would work. Sounds like you are keeping them dry with DE added. The beetles can and will go back into the hive.
That means the boric acid will bee in your hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 01:10:18 pm »
That is good to hear Jim.  I havnt had any problems to sleek of here either, except one of my hives had a few the other day and I figured this would be a good time to try out the greese.  I am also going to pick up some of the  ( gun em down) spray computer cleaner that Mr Van was telling me about. Thanks for the fast response Jim.. have a great day !!
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 03:22:43 pm »
 Thank you Sawdust maker,  If it wasn't so hot I would be making sawdust in my shop.                                                                                                                                                                            Just worked 4 hives, took two frames of honey, poor honey flow this year so far.  As farmers and sports fans say "just wait  until...?".                                                                                                  Back to beetle bait. I only saw 2 SHB, but that is 2 too many.  I thought about the beetle getting back in hive but I did not think it would cause any problem or bee contamination.  From extensive experience with cockroaches in the Middle East, boric acid takes a minimum of 7 days to notice a reduction of roach infestation so taking this  info it would take about the same time for the beetles to die.  If boric acid is safe to put in an infants eye I see no problem in a bee hive except maybe the SHB will track some of the grease into the hive if the SHB does return.  Thanks for the input and all viewpoints are always welcome.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 03:30:39 pm »
If boric acid is safe to put in an infants eye I see no problem in a bee hive except maybe the SHB will track some of the grease into the hive]

Hello paus, I have never heard of boric acid being used this way. I am assuming it is some sort of medical treatment?  Thanks Phillip Hall

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 03:55:50 pm »
I am sure the doctors that use this Boric acid in eyes know what dilution and use distilled water.  The powder is not used.  This is a analogy,  is the water getting deeper/

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 04:49:06 pm »
I am sure the doctors that use this Boric acid in eyes know what dilution and use distilled water.  The powder is not used.  This is a analogy,  is the water getting deeper/

Very!! 😊😁

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 05:13:11 pm »
I have been using oil and am a strong advocate of oil.  It is a sure kill of both beetles and larva.  I am searching looking for a way to control SHB with the bother of using water plus the mess using oil.  If I  would use an alternate method, I would not get the satisfaction of seeing dead beetles.  Aside benefit of oil; I am more careful to level my hives.  I build hive  stands that hold 6 hive.   they work ok until the hives get heavy and start to bend the boards.. I now use four 2x6 boards on edge, with two in back and two in front spaced  1 1/2 inches apart.  This helps in keeping the hive level so the oil in the pan is a uniform depth.  When I looked at some hives this AM the oil had run to the low side and the bees had started to cross comb from the top of one frame to the bottom of the next.  This stand will be strengthened.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 06:00:20 pm »
paus
Have you tried the CD case method of beetle traps?

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 09:42:16 pm »
No,  I have very few SHB now so I may just stick with my old tried and true.  Just a little used fish frying oil in the DSBB.  By the way I make most of my oil pans out of used aluminum casserole pans.  I just hand shape them to fit and get the bottom straight. Ain't pretty but very cost effective.  I like to do stuff like that, its part of the fun.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 09:58:00 pm »
No,  I have very few SHB now so I may just stick with my old tried and true.  Just a little used fish frying oil in the DSBB.  By the way I make most of my oil pans out of used aluminum casserole pans.  I just hand shape them to fit and get the bottom straight. Ain't pretty but very cost effective.  I like to do stuff like that, its part of the fun.

If you don't  mind using boric acid, I have been told that the CD cases are extremely effective. I have never tried them. But; If The beetles were getting totally out of hand and I had to make a choice as to loose the hive or use this to save them, I might consider this method.  I am sending a couple of YouTube video titles that you might find interesting, just in case you haven't watched them before.

SHB Trap That WORKS!
Pioneer bee company

How to save your honey bees from hive beetles
Barnyard Bees

Kind reguards, Phillip Hall. "Ben Framed"