Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Summer Pollen Patties  (Read 6754 times)

Offline Dustymunky

• New Bee
Re: Summer Pollen Patties
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 10:23:06 pm »
I totally agree sc-bee.  Our fir trees dump tons and tons of pollen but its low quality. I dont know if high fructose corn syrup and commercially produced pollen patties are more nutricious than natural pollen but I would guess not. If my hive had no bee bread i would feed them pollen patties but I havent had that issue. 

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 11:46:48 pm »
I seem to recall reading in one of Randy Oliver?s studies that his bees will put away some sort of fungus or something. So it?ll appear as though the bees are bringing in pollen but it?s junk. In his study he noticed an overall improvement in pollen sub fed colonies compared to natural. This was spring buildup mind you.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 08:14:38 pm »
From some Australian research it is interesting that bees just collect pollen, they don't discriminate for quality, if maize/corn pollen is available and easy to get they will collect it in huge amounts even though it is low quality.
Also personally I have found that even though you can offer a high quality pollen substitute, the bees will ignore it. Even if there is a small amount of natural pollen coming in and you think they need more I have found they still ignore the substitute pollen. I have not tried pollen patties only dry pollen substitute.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 09:51:06 pm »
Oldbeavo  Do you have small hive beetles in your area?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 02:48:11 am »
No SHB here.  I'm more worry about our yearly summer dearth though.   High protein patty
subs come to the rescue at  https://www.you_tube.com/watch?v=Olhft3Mj8Yg&feature=youtu.be
Take the under score between youtube off.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2018, 06:13:16 am »
No SHB here.  I'm more worry about our yearly summer dearth though.   High protein patty
subs come to the rescue at  https://www.you_tube.com/watch?v=Olhft3Mj8Yg&feature=youtu.be
Take the under score between youtube off.

I could not get to pull up.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2018, 06:02:07 pm »
Ben Framed
Yes we have SHB, but if we feed pollen sub's we open feed it as a powder in a trough, not in the hive.
Fun to watch them picking up the pollen sub as they literally roll in it.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2018, 06:06:59 pm »
Ben Framed
Yes we have SHB, but if we feed pollen sub's we open feed it as a powder in a trough, not in the hive.
Fun to watch them picking up the pollen sub as they literally roll in it.

✅.👍

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 06:15:19 pm »
Ben, the hyphen between you_tube, you have to copy this link then delete the hyphen _ to make it (youtube) one word. 
After that it should work.   I just don't like to see the whole logo dominate the post screen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 06:22:56 pm »
Ben, the hyphen between you_tube, you have to copy this link then delete the hyphen _ to make it (youtube) one word. 
After that it should work.   I just don't like to see the whole logo dominate the post screen.

Yes, I did that under notes on my phone and it went straight to the video.. Thanks Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2018, 06:26:21 pm »
You can try to give the bees smaller 2"x 2" subs.   This way there won't be much space for the
beetles to hide in.   Of course, the beetles can still get in from the hive entrance because they are
smaller than the bees.

I have seen Joe May do this..