Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Burr Comb in Deep; Bees not moving to super  (Read 876 times)

Offline jrzgrlxit8a

• Brood
Burr Comb in Deep; Bees not moving to super
« on: June 19, 2018, 01:36:25 pm »
Hi, I'm a fairly newbeekeeper (second year). I have two new 8 frame hives and put package of bees in each one.  One hive is really producing - I already have a medium super, full of and honey and recently put a shallow super on it.  The other hive has me concerned.  There are a LOT of bees in the bottom deep - and have made a bunch of burr comb between the 2nd and 3rd frames. The bottom is full of brood and honey, so I put a medium super on it two weeks ago -- but as of today they have hardly touched any of the frames.  I have three fields of buckwheat that are just starting to wind down, so the bees have been busy recently.  Do you think I should be giving the weak hive additional sugar syrup??  Thank you for any insight you can provide. 

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Burr Comb in Deep; Bees not moving to super
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 03:10:45 pm »
Welcome  :happy:.

First off.  No two hives will grow at the same pace.  The one may just be slower than the other.  If you are worried about the smaller hive not working the super, than you can encourage them by taking a drawn frame from your larger hive.  Shake the bees off and put it in your small hive.  This should help to get them to start using the super provided that there is nectar coming in. 

I am not a fan of feeding unless it is absolutely necessary(nothing in bloom or to get them through winter), so I would say no you shouldn't feed them. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Burr Comb in Deep; Bees not moving to super
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 03:21:19 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster JRZ.
If the second hive is full of bees, what is needed is to move a frame of brood up into the super. This brings up the nurse bees to start working in it.
Sounds like you have 3 different size of boxes which makes this hard to do. I run all mediums for this reason and to reduce the weight of the supers.
What is your reason for wanting to feed the bees? Are you trying to build up stores for the winter or a dearth?
If you feed them and they do not move up, they will back fill the hive and then swarm.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything