Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Re-queening from a nuc  (Read 6596 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Re-queening from a nuc
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 10:09:52 pm »
Moebees it is hard for people who live with little restriction to understand areas of restrictions.  They would never live there.  I don't think Matt is going to change the view of folks around him about beekeeping, he just doesn't understand the value of restrictions in other areas that he has never lived in.  Let's be friends.  We all like bees.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 03:13:55 pm »
Moebees it is hard for people who live with little restriction to understand areas of restrictions.  They would never live there.  I don't think Matt is going to change the view of folks around him about beekeeping, he just doesn't understand the value of restrictions in other areas that he has never lived in.  Let's be friends.  We all like bees.

I didn't realize that understanding the necessity of laws and regulations was only applicable to people that live in certain locations.  Thank you for educating me.  I also thought that advocating breaking the law was a negative rather than the other way around.  My bad I guess.  Also didn't realize I was being unfriendly.  I'll try not to disagree with anyone in the future.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 05:34:22 pm »
I'll try not to disagree with anyone in the future.
I would hate to see that happen.  Discussions of different views is what forums are about.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 09:04:11 pm »

I didn't realize that understanding the necessity of laws and regulations was only applicable to people that live in certain locations.  Thank you for educating me.  I also thought that advocating breaking the law was a negative rather than the other way around.  My bad I guess.  Also didn't realize I was being unfriendly.  I'll try not to disagree with anyone in the future.

You're not being unfriendly; we just disagree. I am somewhat of a scofflaw. I wish there were more like me; we wouldn't have so many laws.

@Aroc and the others who have contributed. I'm sorry I derailed the thread. It was imprudent of me. Could we get a followup on what you actually did? and the result?

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2018, 10:05:05 am »
I don?t like laws limiting laws either.....that is a different thread though.

The jury is still out on this one.  The hive in question now has eggs and young larvae.  I?m going to check in a couple of days to see if they are worker brood or drone brood.  My bee math is terrible so I may have been off.  We have had some very crappy rainy weather so if it is a mated queen it may have taken awhile to get mated.

In the meantime I have another hive I believe has a drone layer in it as it is full of drone brood.  I see eggs but they are single in the cell and slightly off to the side.  Not sure what to do with this one.
You are what you think.

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 02:00:57 pm »
I don?t like laws limiting laws either.....that is a different thread though.

The jury is still out on this one.  The hive in question now has eggs and young larvae.  I?m going to check in a couple of days to see if they are worker brood or drone brood.  My bee math is terrible so I may have been off.  We have had some very crappy rainy weather so if it is a mated queen it may have taken awhile to get mated.

In the meantime I have another hive I believe has a drone layer in it as it is full of drone brood.  I see eggs but they are single in the cell and slightly off to the side.  Not sure what to do with this one.

If it is a drone layer you will need to find her and get rid of her before adding brood or a new queen.  My experience is that they usually won't make a new queen or accept and introduction with the drone layer in there.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 04:59:46 pm »
It would seem like if a queen wasn't performing and the colony had a way to replace her they would.  I wouldn't put a queen in because they may do battle and the good one lose.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 05:09:56 pm »
Aroc, sorry your having a difficult time with queens.  I realize Montana has a shorter bee season than most states.  Hang in there, you will get it worked out, Im hoping you drone layer is a bonafied queen that just happens to lay drones at the moment and she start to lay worker brood soon, like today.  Anyway so much for wishful thinking, time will tell with your queen and if she is a true drone layer then replace her.  Best of luck to you, Aroc.

I might add, I am having difficulty rearing queens, about 50% never return from a mating flight.  I have a pair of Cat Birds and a pair of Tanangers living close to my apiary.  I see the tanangers swoop down at my hives everyday.  I have neighbors that tell me to shoot em, well, I cannot shoot the birds, no way.  The tanangers are just beautiful so I?ll donate a few bees,,,,,,and apparently some virgin queens too.

Tomorrow, Wednesday, I have to do a newspaper combine due to another missing virgin queen.  Oh well, that?s beekeeping, got to enjoy it.  I realize I could present a frame of eggs but I have to many hives anyway, so a combine will do just fine.

Blessings
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 05:34:24 pm by Van, Arkansas, USA »

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 07:27:23 pm »
It would seem like if a queen wasn't performing and the colony had a way to replace her they would.  I wouldn't put a queen in because they may do battle and the good one lose.

It would seem that way to me too but I have tried to replace drone layers with frames of brood and purchased queens  and they always kill the queen and won't make queen cells from the introduced brood even though they build queen cups all over the place.  The "bee logic"  could be that if young larva shows up, hay maybe the queen is getting her act together?  And when introducing a caged queen they may say a drone layer is better than a non layer.  I have not tried it with a laying queen but suspect they would accept a laying queen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 08:58:49 pm »
I have a pair of Cat Birds and a pair of Tanangers living close to my apiary.  I see the tanangers swoop down at my hives everyday.  I have neighbors that tell me to shoot em, well, I cannot shoot the birds, no way.
LOL conflicting hobbies, bird watching and beekeeping.  I guess you are destine to just buy mated queens.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2018, 10:18:13 pm »
Thanks for the text, Ace, you see the humours side of things, I appreciate that.  Kind of fun to watch the tanangers: they swoop down grab a bee then remove the stinger and eat the bee.  They catch wasp too, in fact bees and wasp make up the main diet of these beautiful birds.  Tanangers males are bright red with very yellow beek, females are yellow and green.  They are bee eaters for certain.  They make a nest that hangs down from limbs of the canopy.  I think I will name the male ACE in your honor.
Blessings

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2018, 08:46:24 am »
Thanks Van now my screen name is associated with bee killer.  LOL Although I probably already earned that without your help.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2018, 06:51:39 pm »
Thanks for the text, Ace, you see the humours side of things, I appreciate that.  Kind of fun to watch the tanangers: they swoop down grab a bee then remove the stinger and eat the bee.  They catch wasp too, in fact bees and wasp make up the main diet of these beautiful birds.  Tanangers males are bright red with very yellow beek, females are yellow and green.  They are bee eaters for certain.  They make a nest that hangs down from limbs of the canopy.  I think I will name the male ACE in your honor.
Blessings

Mr Van, I had looked up tanangers from your earlier comments on this post and could not find a description. I was just about to ask you, and read this last comment that describes them. Sounds like a beautiful bird. I don't know that I have seen this bird here in my area.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2018, 10:31:57 pm »
>Question is what?s the best way to do this? 

I just take the frame with the queen and her bees on it and put it in the queenless hive.  A queen who is in the process of laying, and is with her bees, is readily accepted.  This was Brother Adam's standard method and it's what I do.

MBush, I just tried this: added 2 frames of eggs and larva with the queen to a nuc with 3 frames of bees from different hives; a 5 frame nuc.  I was a little nervous, but I have learned I can trust what you say.  Yes Sir, the queen was readily accepted and a week later all is well.  Brother Adam is a man I highly respect, both for bee and spiritual knowledge.  The bee world lost a good man, may Brother Adam Rest In Peace.  This is a bit off subject, hope ya don?t mind Jim, I would just like to say I also appreciate M. Bush Biblical knowledge.  Mr. Bush, Sir, we may differ on treatment of mites but I respect your position.
Blessings

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2018, 08:51:09 am »
>Question is what?s the best way to do this? 

I just take the frame with the queen and her bees on it and put it in the queenless hive.  A queen who is in the process of laying, and is with her bees, is readily accepted.  This was Brother Adam's standard method and it's what I do.

MBush, I just tried this: added 2 frames of eggs and larva with the queen to a nuc with 3 frames of bees from different hives; a 5 frame nuc.  I was a little nervous, but I have learned I can trust what you say.  Yes Sir, the queen was readily accepted and a week later all is well.  Brother Adam is a man I highly respect, both for bee and spiritual knowledge.  The bee world lost a good man, may Brother Adam Rest In Peace.  This is a bit off subject, hope ya don?t mind Jim, I would just like to say I also appreciate M. Bush Biblical knowledge.  Mr. Bush, Sir, we may differ on treatment of mites but I respect your position.
Blessings

Mr Van, I keep seeing brother Adams name mentioned, who is brother Adam? I am sure I could google it but I am guessing there are other new beekeepers who are wondering the same thing. Thanks Phillip Hall
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2018, 10:31:41 am »
Brother Adam was a Chatolic priest in England who devoted his life, over 90 years to beekeeping as a sideline to priesthood.  The church needed beeswax candles and the honey also brought in funds.  He traveled the world collecting queens trying to breed the perfect honeybee.

Brother Adam apiary was known as BUCKFAST ABBEY.  The Buckfast bee is still available to this day.  Brother Adam perfected Honey production, queen rearing, genetic lines of impressive bees.  His techniques of Honey production are employed to this day.  The priest would have double the Honey compared to neighboring Apiary?s, by Brother Adams use of his strongest hives.

Brother Adam book :  BEEKEEPING AT BUCKFAST ABBEY is worth the read, one of several books.   Perhaps the single most important message I learned from Brother Adam was the security of a proven queen, that is the mental aspects of a queen which I had not considered until Adam enlighten me with his books.
Blessings

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2018, 10:55:01 am »
Thanks Van. He was a real Bee man.  I am just wondering, with all his travels, all his experiments,  breeding and cross breeding, searching for the best possible queens, from the world over, why didn't he also come up with the Africanized bees? Do you know a lot about this?  Thanks Phillip

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2018, 01:16:51 pm »
Brother Adam did travel to Africa and did witness the vicious African Honey bee., His exact words {I have never seen anything like this.}. He did not collect queen from the vicious bees.  However, Brother Adam did travel into the mountains of Africa and did collect a solid black gentle queen which he took back to Buckfast for breeding.
Blessings

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2018, 01:22:58 pm »
Brother Adam did travel to Africa and did witness the vicious African Honey bee., His exact words {I have never seen anything like this.}. He did not collect queen from the vicious bees.  However, Brother Adam did travel into the mountains of Africa and did collect a solid black gentle queen which he took back to Buckfast for breeding.
Blessings

Wise decision for brither Adam. Thanks for the answer..

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2018, 01:41:16 pm »
Blessings

Wise decision for brither Adam. Thanks for the answer..
[/quote

Being Brother Adam found the African bee so vicious, and he did indeed live long enough to see the results of the experiment gone wrong in Sout America, I am wondering if he had any comments or opinions of the (new Africinized bee). In other words, did he find the African bee and the Africanized bee with basically the same or similar trates? Or the New bee even much more aggressive than the bees he found so vicious in Africa?  Anyone read his books or maybe comments on this subject from him?  I realize that this subject has been talked about but Just now learning of brother Adam I sure would like to know his outlook..  Thanks Phillip