Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does hive color matter  (Read 3362 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Does hive color matter
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 04:52:28 pm »
I use a lot of "OOPS" paint especially if I find deck and porch paint.  I have bought paint from 5- 12 dollars per gallon.  I have nothing on which  to base my opium, but  I believe the entrances that are painted different will help in controlling the spread of mites and maladies.  Why, because it seems that there will be fewer bees landing in the neighbors hive if the entrance has a distinct look, I paint different patterns on the landing board.  In long rows of commercial hives the hives on the end always produce more than the hives in the middle, case in point.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 05:50:38 pm »
I have seen hives painted silver, reflected sunlight well in the hot humid costal area of US.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 11:48:08 am »
A substance to give color and slow down the effects of weathering.

Hey Michael Bush... You hear that  :grin:

From  'The Practical Beekeeper"
Stop painting your equipment.
You've probably noticed by now, if you looked at pictures of my hives, that a lot of them are not painted. Maybe the neighbors or the wife will complain but the bees won't care. They might not last as long. I don't know because I only stopped painting them about four years ago. But think of all the time you'll save!

I'm not the only one who believes that:
"The hives need no painting, although there is no harm in doing it if their owner wants to please his own eye. The bees find their way to their own hives more easily if the hives do not all look alike. I rarely paint mine, and as a result no two are quite alike. Most have the appearance of many years of use and many seasons of exposure to the elements." --Richard Taylor, The Joys of Beekeeping
"I suppose they would last longer if painted, but hardly enough longer to pay for the paint." --C.C. Miller, Fifty Years Among the Bees
Lately I bought a lot of equipment and wanted to keep it as nice as I could for as long as I could so I started dipping them in beeswax and gum rosin.
John 3:16

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 12:14:35 pm »
They might not last as long.
What I said.
"The hives need no painting, although there is no harm in doing it if their owner wants to please his own eye.

What I said.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2018, 02:32:02 pm »
They might not last as long.
What I said.
"The hives need no painting, although there is no harm in doing it if their owner wants to please his own eye.

What I said.

What did you say???  :wink:
John 3:16

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 01:11:18 pm »
"Another reason for not painting hives is that I am afraid bees do not do quite so well in painted as in  unpainted hives, especially in winter."--C.C. Miller, 50 Years Among the Bees

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything