Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Entrance reducers 80 - 90 degree weather  (Read 1685 times)

djgriggs

Entrance reducers 80 - 90 degree weather
« on: May 13, 2018, 03:19:15 pm »
Question for everyone in the know..

I was cutting my grass today in the back yard and seen this going on with the bees.

Curious. As active as this hive is especially in 80 -90 degree weather should I remove the entrance reducer. for this hive. my other hive " the foundation-less hive" is not as active.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 03:39:08 pm by djgriggs »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Entrance reducers 80 - 90 degree weather
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 04:04:03 pm »
My rule is "Give them enough entrance to allow a smooth flow of traffic. I would remove it from that hive and place a short block on the end if needed.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 04:26:50 pm »
I think Id said it very well.  When I see traffic congestion at entrance,  that is the reduced entrance has bees running into each other, bees waiting in line to go in or out, then I give more opening to the entrance.

Mr Griggs as you may or may not know, Iddee was trading skep hives with a fella named Mosses who was wondering in the desert.

All kidding aside: In other words, Iddee has over half a century of experience with the bees.  A fella ya want to listen to.

djgriggs

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 06:18:11 pm »
Okay, thanks ,, I went out directly after reading and removed the Reducers. Entrance is not so congested. still a lot of traffic but not as bad.

I also have been feeding my foundation-less Hive sugar water,,, sense I had done that it looks like they have improved comb production at least one full medium that I noticed and probably another half comb. I proceeded to remove the empty pale feeder.. I did not put another feeder in for the bees. I also added a Honey Queen excluder and a medium honey super..

What are your thoughts on this .?  Thanks

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 06:36:00 pm »
If you added the excluder directly under foundation, they may take a few weeks to start working it. I suggest putting an excluder UNDER a super they are presently working.

Van, are you saying I'm old just because I changed Methuzla's diapers?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 07:04:40 pm »
Iddee,
I thought you were Methuzla's great great grandfather.  :cheesy:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 08:54:35 pm »
Jim,    :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 09:29:21 pm »
Iddee,
I thought you were Methuzla's great great grandfather.  :cheesy:
Jim
Nah Jim that is just a story he likes to tell the newbies.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

djgriggs

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 09:33:28 pm »
If you added the excluder directly under foundation, they may take a few weeks to start working it. I suggest putting an excluder UNDER a super they are presently working.

Van, are you saying I'm old just because I changed Methuzla's diapers?

A little confused on this .. ( think I might have got to much sun :) )

the foundation-less hive.. has two deeps the main deep has a mixture of foundation ( original bee buy ) mixed with foundation less. Same with second deep.. What I did today was add a queen excluder above the 2nd deep and added the medium super above it.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 09:48:39 pm »
The bees know where their ceiling was yesterday. They will not venture through an excluder when they think it is still their ceiling. You have to put the super on until they begin to use it, then put the excluder under it.

Before others say I'm wrong........ Yes, they will go through it in the weeks to come. It will take much longer than if they are given a chance to use the area first.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 09:55:36 pm »
Before others say I'm wrong........ Yes, they will go through it in the weeks to come. It will take much longer than if they are given a chance to use the area first.
Actually I was going to say that you were right, But I can change that if you would prefer. :wink:

djgriggs

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 10:31:03 pm »
This all makes sense to me , thank you for letting me know.

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 11:51:09 am »
Entrance reducers to queen excludes in a single bound! 8) We are in the midst of a flow right now, the likes of which I haven't seen in a couple of years so.....no reduce for me!! 8)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

anything