Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New package left queen and a small group  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
New package left queen and a small group
« on: April 30, 2018, 06:02:41 pm »
We installed four packages on Saturday, 2 Italian and 2 Carniolan. Today we checked them and one of the Italians package was gone, well except for the unreleased queen and about 50 bees clustered around her. Looked around the trees and did not see an bees swarmed up. I guess my question is should I try to find another package without a queen or leave them alone and see what happens.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: New package left queen and a small group
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 06:48:37 pm »
Your bees moved into one of the other packages. It happens quite often.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 06:51:29 pm »
Thanks Jim! The one hive of Carniolan looked quite full but I didn't think they would do that. I think we will try to find a nuc or get ordered asap and put the small cluster in that.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 09:04:37 pm »
Shawn, if you have access to a frame of brood, the bees will stay with the brood.

Mr. Jim, excellent answer, I say, just excellent.  You are indeed a man of bee knowledge.  I wonder if the same question was ask of a Master Beekeeper, would he/she know the correct answer.  Maybe I will call you Master Jim from now on.
Blessings

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 09:33:31 pm »

Shawn, if you have access to a frame of brood, the bees will stay with the brood.

Mr. Jim, excellent answer, I say, just excellent.  You are indeed a man of bee knowledge.  I wonder if the same question was ask of a Master Beekeeper, would he/she know the correct answer.  Maybe I will call you Master Jim from now on.
Blessings
:cheesy:
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 03:29:43 am »
I would use a QE with another nuc box on top of the package hive.   Then hive this queen on top along with her little
batch of bees.   Now you have a 2 queen set up.  I'm sure the bees will be content with either one.  If not then they will
choose the strongest one to keep.   Who knows!   You might be able to keep them all until the new package or nuc arrive.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 07:10:30 am »
You could take a frame of bees ( a frame of brood if possible) out of the biggest hive, put them in a small nuc, 3fr if you have one and shift them a couple of mile away. Give them a shake of icing sugar when you combine them, shut up and shift.
If the queen is still in released give her a day and let her out.
Gives you half a chance of saving things even though they will be set back.