Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: US police arrest two boys after vandalism killed 500k bees  (Read 1393 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
US police arrest two boys after vandalism killed 500k bees
« on: January 18, 2018, 02:51:45 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42730201

Police have arrested two boys for allegedly vandalising a honey business in the US state of Iowa that killed half a million bees in late December.

The damage to 50 beehives at Wild Hill Honey farm in Sioux City resulted in the honey bees freezing to death.

The boys aged 12 and 13 are charged with three offences.

Wild Hill Honey's owners said they had caused $60,000 (?43,400) of damage and called the crime "completely senseless."

Co-owner Justin Engelhardt told the Sioux City Journal: "They knocked over every single hive, killing all the bees. They wiped us out completely."

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Re: US police arrest two boys after vandalism killed 500k bees
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 02:52:05 pm »
How did they do this and not get eaten up by bees?

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 05:02:17 pm »
Not sure about Iowa but it?s friggin cold. Would be easy to kick over a ton of hives and not have anybody go airborn.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 06:26:26 pm »
I read the article, very sad.  The 43,400 is calculated in euros not US dollars.  The incident drew international attention so a fund was set up, so far $30,000 US dollars has been donated.  The boys broke into the bee shed  building and smashed all equipment.  Like I said, very sad, but encouraging that so many would donate.  The hives and equipment were not insured.  No criticism here, I have no insurance on my bees, except for liability: 2.2 million and it?s not expensive.
Blessings

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 05:57:31 pm »
My first year of having bees vandals kicked over my hive at night.  If you just kick and run it is unlikely you will get stung.  All vandalism is senseless but smashing a pumpkin or stealing a watermelon is a world of difference in adolescence behavior compared to ruining someone's livelihood.  I think there is something missing on the parent side of these kids.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 08:13:15 pm »
Ace, as usual you have a good point.  Remember as kids we had prayer in school and bomb drills.  Things are much different now a days.  Jobs are not waiting for high school grads, not even for college grads.  When I graduated high school the employment section of the Houston Texas Chronicle, news paper was probably 1/4 inch thick, that is thousands of job vacancies.  No problem obtaining a job, the only problem was which field was choice.

Now a days, children are not leaving home, in their 30s years of age due to job absence.  Kids communicate with iPhones, the social structure has completely changed.  A lot of folks are mad, just mad because their is no future for them.  Detroit now basically a run down town used to be the envy of the world with its manufacturing facilities.  Jobs waiting for high school grads with enormous salaries for newbies.  Jobs, jobs jobs,,,,, opportunities were everywhere.

Now, Companies seldom offer retirement which was a standard when we were young, retirement benefits were taken for granted by our generation.  I was one of the lucky ones with solid retirement benefits and I consider myself blessed.  Not uncommon for companies to fire/layoff veteran employees, then hire younger folks as replacements to avoid retirement payments.

A lot of folks are mad, face anxiety due to lack of opportunities.  Employment of teenagers seemed to me to be about 30% if memory serves me correctly.  Jobs that are available pay little and offer no future.  I am not sure who to blame, I don?t blame either of us, I can?t point my finger at any single person or event. 

WALLACE, new pic of the lil man with SNOW in Alabama?????  Alabama????  Tell me the pic was taken on vacation in some Northern state.
Blessings

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 11:42:41 pm »
How did they do this and not get eaten up by bees?
As mentioned it was probably very cold when done. Even at 30 degrees, bees cannot fly very far. I sure if the temp was in the teens, it was pretty safe to knock a hive over and back away safely.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything