Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beetle Jail  (Read 3038 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Beetle Jail
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 08:14:56 pm »
If you cannot extract right away, you need to chill, if not actually freeze the honey to kill the SHB eggs, larvae and the beetles. Chilling them will stop them from developing and destroying the honey but as soon as they warm up they are back in action. When you freeze them they do die.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 07:35:59 am »
Jim
I have 18 full depth supers that I can't deal with for 4 days, can't chill that anount, 42 degrees C here today, not sure what that is in "F".
Next suggestion please

Cheers
Gary

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 11:00:37 am »
When I remove honey supers, I usually extract within a couple of days.  I haven't had any problem with beetle damage in that short of time(supers stored in house).  There is typically a couple of them running about the combs.  Do they or will they lay eggs in honey comb that has no pollen?  I know they will in frames with pollen.  I've seen that first hand(it's ugly).

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 05:54:34 am »
Jim
I have 18 full depth supers that I can't deal with for 4 days, can't chill that anount, 42 degrees C here today, not sure what that is in "F".
Next suggestion please

Cheers
Gary

Gary,
That is 107 F. At that temperature I think it too high for they SHBs to grow. Hence keeping hives in full sun. The problem is your hives will be cooling down at night.
I will see if I can find out if 107F actually kills the larvae.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything