Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Contaminated, altered honey.  (Read 5528 times)

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: Contaminated, altered honey.
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 10:47:24 am »
Yes, paus, I have seen that variety, a bush with red seed pods.  Very tart to taste, red seed clusters in the late summer, early Fall.  I believe the leaves turn red in the Fall too.  The bush grows to a height of say 6 ft.  Is this to what you are referring???
Blessings

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 11:41:30 am »
Yes that is the variety only it grows as much as 10 feet in bottoms.  May I correct my error, Native Americans do not make tea from naturalist, my high school grammar teacher is turning over in her grave

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 03:08:16 pm »
Cause as a foodstuff, it's less than a quarter of the price of certified seed.
LJ

Call your feed store.  It's often used as a cover crop and you can get big bags of it usually for less than the little bags.  They may need to order it in for you.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 06:03:18 pm »
Cause as a foodstuff, it's less than a quarter of the price of certified seed.
LJ

Call your feed store.  It's often used as a cover crop and you can get big bags of it usually for less than the little bags.  They may need to order it in for you.

Thanks Kathy - cover crop seed quantities sound about right.  I visited a 'Whole-Food' shop earlier today, only to discover (in the small print) that their bags of 'Natural' BuckWheat have been roasted !

Another plan I have - for the longer-term - is to grow a couple of hundred Bee-Bee Trees (Tetradium Daniellii) from seed, and then hand these out gratis to any locals who want to 'Save the Bees' <chuckle>.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2017, 05:41:03 pm »
BUCKWHEAT HONEY:  I ordered earlier and received this day buckwheat honey.  My first time to taste, I like the taste, a hint of smoke, a hint of molasses,  and very lite licorice flavor.  Darker than molasses, with a pleasant taste.  Maybe not for everyone, what is?  I thanks the beeks for their suggestions on this thread.
Blessings

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 09:13:39 pm »
BUCKWHEAT HONEY:  I ordered earlier and received this day buckwheat honey.  My first time to taste, I like the taste, a hint of smoke, a hint of molasses,  and very lite licorice flavor.  Darker than molasses, with a pleasant taste.  Maybe not for everyone, what is?  I thanks the beeks for their suggestions on this thread.
Blessings

Was it anything like what you described in your original post?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 09:34:12 am »
I've had what was billed as buckwheat honey that was quite pleasant to my tastes and other buckwheat honey that had a bitter aftertaste.  I can't say what the difference was.  Perhaps the good tasting buckwheat had something else in it that mitigated the bitter aftertaste.  Perhaps the bitter aftertaste was some other source that added that to the buckwheat.  I can't say but generally I like buckwheat and it is very reminiscent of molasses though not identical.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 11:04:01 am »
The two best monfloral honeys I have ever had were tupelo honey and lavender honey. My family has a business around where tupelo honey is produced and we sell it. If they have a good harvest this year and the price is low I can send people some. I had a friend go to Europe and he brought me back true lavender honey from Southern France. It was simply wonderful and I hope to get some again soon. I do have a friend who has an uncle who lives in southern France adn I might pester them into getting me some more the next time he comes for a visit.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 01:36:24 pm »
Tupelo would be in my top five favorite honeys.  It would be hard for me to narrow it to the top 5, but sourwood would be my favorite.  Eucalyptus is pretty nice.  Thyme honey was very good.  Basswood, black locust, sumac... all very good.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2017, 08:33:16 pm »
Nothing has ever tickled my fancy more than back yard honey.  According to the comments that I have gotten around this country some others agree.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything