Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Mountain camp" Pollen w/ sugar  (Read 5345 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: "Mountain camp" Pollen w/ sugar
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 03:49:15 pm »
I gave the swifter pads a try they caught a few bees a few more SHB.  The ladies propilized ( glued it to frames) wasted a lot of resources and for me a total failure.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 01:10:12 am »
I gave the swifter pads a try they caught a few bees a few more SHB.  The ladies propilized ( glued it to frames) wasted a lot of resources and for me a total failure.
Same experience here.   They hid under it; if I remembered,  I could squash before moving it.  Far fewer caught in the mesh.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 06:55:06 am »
Same experience here.   They hid under it; if I remembered,  I could squash before moving it.  Far fewer caught in the mesh.
Same here.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 12:31:49 am »
Update: no beetles stuck on the pad. No bees either. I saw bees playing in the pile of powder and some appearing to eat it, but the pile size has not diminished much in a week.

I had some extra "fondant" that I cooked according to a youtube recipe and it was too soft so I put it on another "plate." The bees were definitely interested in that!  But also no much has disappeared in a week.

It's been warm, reaching low 60s during the day, 30s at night, and just a little rain.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2017, 10:07:22 am »
Another update. This is a different hive than the above. This colony has taken down quite a bit of their inverted-sugar cakes and almost all of their pollen substitute.

Pro tip: if you get tired and leave the hot candy in the kitchenaid overnight, then wake up to a solid bowl of candy, you can put the whole thing - sugar, bowl, and mixer together - in the oven at 225 and it will soften up. :)

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

anything