Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: working bees at night  (Read 1711 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
working bees at night
« on: September 05, 2017, 04:47:42 pm »
A Master bee keeper told our club about meeting a beekeeper from Europe and they work bees at night.  This would save a lot of sweat for all Texas beeks.  The only time I ever tried this was moving a hive and we had a mishap, and we got "Lit Up" .  Comments please.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 06:53:41 pm by paus »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: working bees at night
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 05:18:51 pm »
The only time I ever tried this was moving a hive and we had a mishap, and we got "Lite Up" .  Comments please.

You should try it.  It would save on electricity.  :-)
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 05:20:22 pm »
I have heard of people using a red light and messing around with the hives at night time. I wouldn't recommend it. I live on the river and fish A LOT (hence my user name) and when I head down the pasture through the fence I have to walk right by 3 hives. Sometimes I come back after dark. One night I shined the light over to the bees and noticed a big wad of bees on the front of the hive. Without even thinking I went over there goofing around with that dang flashlight, shining it at those bees and all I will tell you is that I won't do it again. My fishing pole stayed down there until the next day.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 05:25:50 pm »
I never work my bees at night. The only thing I do after dark, usually just before dawn, is herding the bees into the hive to put screens on to transport the bees.
It would bee very difficult to see young larvae and eggs with a red light.
If you use a white light they will probably bee all over you and the light.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 05:58:47 pm »
I saw bees worked at night with a red light at bud 1. Yes some things would be hard to do at night but I was told n a had too situation somethings can be done. Not as a substitute for day work but some have too chores that may have gotten by. And yes  :wink: white  light
John 3:16

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:28:24 pm »
A Master bee keeper told our club about meeting a beekeeper from Europe and they work bees at night.  This would save a lot of sweat for all Texas beeks.  The only time I ever tried this was moving a hive and we had a mishap, and we got "Lit Up" .  Comments please.

I carn't imagine any advantages to night work yet know of many dsadvantages.
Maybee in some locations one does what one has to do?

Cheers.

Bill

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 02:27:10 pm »
At night they fly at lights, they crawl and cling and sting.  I do not recommend it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin