Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swiffer pads for hive Beetles ? Opinions?  (Read 11961 times)

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
Swiffer pads for hive Beetles ? Opinions?
« on: August 22, 2017, 10:06:41 pm »
I posted a while back about the almighty hive beetle. I have read on here to keep it family friendly or y'all would hear some things from this Georgia boy that might make you wander just what kind of person I am. Haha. I had a hive to abscond on me. They just up and left. It was a very successful cut out that my wife and I did and I really wanted that hive to make it. For the simple purpose that we did it together and it worked out exceptionally well. And on top of that they were very gentle bees. Anyway I blame the abscond on the Beetles. I have since put Swiffer pads in the hives on top of the frames. 2 per hive. They have been cut down to about 4x5 inch pads. Have any of you guys had success with this? My only fear is that I have read that the pads will trap a few bees as well. I'm not to excited about that. And what if it traps the queen? That would be CRAZY !!!!!
Take a kid fishing !

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Swiffer pads for hive Beetles ? Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 10:30:32 pm »
I have not used swifter pads but the brawny towels were a bust for me.  They did kill bees, they did catch very few beetles, they were propolised up which is a waste of bee resources in my opinion.  The DSBB has worked flawlessly, yes more expense, but requires about the same amount of attention but you do not open the hive or disturb the bees in any way, this also catches every mite that falls in the oil pan plus hive beetles and larva.  I use used cooking oil which I get free and in abundance in the pan.  I convert every hive that does not have the DSBB when I work the hive.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 10:56:52 pm »
Swifter pads seem to be about effective as the oil bombs you put between frames.  Yes, they do trap some, but the percentage isn't worth the effort.  Oil pan bottom boards seem to be the most effective except for a packed hive sitting in the sun.  I just haven't found a good, full sun location yet.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 11:35:25 pm »
Yes, they do trap some, but the percentage isn't worth the effort. 

Naw.... they are not worth the effort :wink:

John 3:16

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 12:01:43 am »
SC how long were they in the hive before you caught that many?
Take a kid fishing !

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 12:12:04 am »
SC how long were they in the hive before you caught that many?

It is all relevant to infestation. This was a troubled nuc and about 4 days, if I remember correctly. It actually absconded before I knew the beetles were that bad. I caught the swarm and put it on new foundation with the swiffers. The swiffers knocked them down and the new nuc built up fast. I have definite shb issues at my residence. My bees are not there but I like to bring a hive to watch at times.... the shb there make it next to impossible...

The thing about shb... folks usually see a few and go bananas. You are most likely not going to catch the small few... and the small few are not an issue. Just learn to live with the small few...and move on...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:28:14 am by sc-bee »

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 01:18:58 am »
The thing about shb... folks usually see a few and go bananas. You are most likely not going to catch the small few... and the small few are not an issue. Just learn to live with the small few...and move on...
Agreed.  If I see less than 10 in a full size hive, I smash what I can and don't worry about it.  I have oil pans on about half my hives.  When I start seeing too many of them, it means that it is time to put oil in the pans.  You can knock the numbers down pretty quick with the screen bottom with oil pans.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 08:55:51 am »
You can knock the numbers down pretty quick with the screen bottom with oil pans.

I agree, oil pans take out many times more per day.  I didn't say the Swiffers didn't work, they just aren't fast enough when you have a real problem.  Somewhere around my apiary is a SHB factory.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 06:50:38 pm »
Please de-code DSBB?
For us non US BK's

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 06:57:50 pm »
Also some talk about using Chux wipes as SHB traps, either flat or folded, put on top of the frames under the lid. The SHB's get the hooks on their feet tangled in the cloth, according to reports.
I have not used them as SHB's are not a problem yet. Cheap try for those with a problem.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 07:28:00 pm »
DSBB Double screen bottom board.  How many ways are there to make them,  as many ways as there are BK that design their own equip.  I make mine from 2x4 or 1x4 sides with a drop board in the back that makes it bee proof and you can pull the oil pan without disturbing the bees.  In Texas lots of us are going to screen bottoms and leaving them open all winter.  Thank you for asking as I am often left scratching my head over letters that stand for words.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 08:44:56 pm »
Oil is fast yes--- I admit I have not used it in bottom board traps only beetle eaters. But I hear  bottom board traps are messy, gets rained, PIA to change oil in etc. And also expensive, for a number of traps,  if you are not a DIY

Some areas are just prone to shb... one yard within a mile may not be the same. Things like soil content, sunshine, empty hive space, disposition of bees (aggression) make a difference. Bottom line... you will most likely need nothing if the hive is in the full sun on hard ground and strong enough to defend from the beetles. And I keep the IMITATION KNOCK OFF swiffers (micro cloths no name brand) on hand if I need a back-up. I have enough to deal with without messy oil pans.... Just my 1 cent worth  :wink:

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 09:07:59 pm »
In my first forays into SHB control I ran the "fluffy mat" concept using
suitable cloth weaves.. failed.
And why?
The traps caught bees more often than the few beetles I had sighted.
Not so concerned about the queen I only saw the concept as bad practice.

IF I ever spot a SHB problem again I will be trialing that NeverWet[tm] on
metal strips at the perimeters of the baseboard - it's logical, inherently safe
and essentially unintrusively maintainance free.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 11:19:31 pm »

Exactly the point above... seeing a few is of no concern... so not mat needed... no never wet..

"it's logical, inherently safe and totally unintrusively maintainance free."

Cheers

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 01:44:47 am »

Exactly the point above... seeing a few is of no concern... so not mat needed... no never wet..

Cheers

... beeware totality for therein lies a one way road.  : chuckles:

Cheers.

Bill

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 05:55:55 am »

Cheers

... beeware totality for therein lies a one way road.  : chuckles:

Cheers.

Bill

Naw.... I am too wide..... I take up at least two lanes minimum  :wink:

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 09:54:24 am »
"Naw.... I am too wide..... I take up at least two lanes minimum :wink: "

... that there must extract one hellava road tax ! : laugh:

There is a backstory to my SHB experience in that I  - in relevant terms -  have only just moved into a new "zone", as
you guys describe environments. Despite what the SHB distribution map for Australia says I had only ever heard of
SHB, never actually handled the things at my last yard.
In short time I found one nucleus loaded with them, like a few dozen, and so set out to fix that.
In hindsight I reckon I bought them into the yard in that client's delivery of his sick nucleus. Not evident on first look
they were there next time around, after adding a new queen and some of my brood resources on first inspection.
Cleaning it up with bees help, and some Confidor[tm] around the hivestand, I was able to return the expanded 10fr
broodchamber to the client, and not seen a beetle since.
I am thinking there is no SHB in my yard, as a permanent presence, so "touch wood" no need to bother beyond
knowing what to do if they do show up. I expect a heavy client influx this November after what was a busy wet
season last year into Feburary 2017.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2023, 08:23:11 pm »
I'm reviving this old thread instead of starting a new one. I was out of shims so I just laid these flat across the tops of the frames and put the top on and a weight. So you can see the stripes where they were exposed to the bees and the beetles. Lots of beetles. This is about six weeks I think.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2023, 09:18:40 pm »
I'm reviving this old thread instead of starting a new one. I was out of shims so I just laid these flat across the tops of the frames and put the top on and a weight. So you can see the stripes where they were exposed to the bees and the beetles. Lots of beetles. This is about six weeks I think.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I love using beetle Swiffs (as I call them in my notes :cheesy:).  I buy the generic pads since they are cheaper; even the dollar store ones work fine for this application.  I usually cut them into fourths and put one or two of the smaller squares in the corner of the box.  If I'm having beetle trouble, I just change them whenever they get "full", or remove them if I start catching more bees than beetles.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2023, 10:56:37 pm »
I tried using the industrial, fibrous paper towels, but it didn't seem very productive. I may try again. One of my hives (a strong hive) seems to always have a lot of beetles.

anything