Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 1 gallon+ per day of 1:1  (Read 5670 times)

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: 1 gallon+ per day of 1:1
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 10:56:16 am »
Very clever. I wrote that stop feeding. Take the feeder off
Language barrier NOT included

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 07:19:52 pm »

Our flow season is about one month long.  There is a flow often at the beginning of June but seldom hives are ready to forage surpluss.

After September we go to the winter. When the hive makes brood in September, it makes sometimes tight that the last emerged bees can empty their gut.
Our plants start to prepare themselves for winter in August what ever weather it is. Plants read the time from day lenght.

Finski, I think I see the source of confusion. David's in Pennsylvania, about the same latitude as I am. (you're at LOWEST 60N he's between 39 and 42N, BIG difference!) We get a fall flow in August, usually goldenrod mostly but also fall raspberries and other wildflowers. Depending on the weather, bees can pack quite a bit in during that month.

J-

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 01:05:39 am »
I know that . That was not a question.

Question was, it is harmfull to fill the hive with sugar in the middle of summer.

Against starving 1 gallon 1:1 syrup is enough.  It has nothing to do with climate.

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 09:22:39 pm »
Five of my hives are only one deep full, will they survive winter?  Should I feed?  Thanks :)

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 11:13:42 pm »
Five of my hives are only one deep full, will they survive winter?  Should I feed?  Thanks :)

NO!

I live here in north. My bees are just making brood for winter cluster. It is summer here.
I arrange just room for laying. It is hurry to take honehy off and give empty combs for brooding.
I try to get my hives 2 box wintering. Now they have 5-8 boxes.

I unite hives if they are not full one box for4 winter. I have too much colonies.

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 06:26:13 pm »
Finski, you said do not feed but combine the five hives for winter right?  Sorry I couldn't understand the first time. :)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 07:34:46 pm »
dont the queens battle each other if you combine hives, or do you "wack" one of the queens

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 09:41:17 pm »
I personally put a piece of newspaper between the two deeps and let nature take its place.  If the two queens fight they fight, but I never had them swarm or leave after I put them together.  They eat thru the newspaper and their scent and stuff mixes and they are all best of friends after 2-3 days.  Never had one of the queens leave the hive with the bees after or had a bunch of dead bees before so something works somehow.  After a week if they have any empty frames between the two deeps I move them to the top and fill the bottom full first and take out any uneaten remains of the newspaper.  It is neat how it works. :-D

anything