Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winter inspection  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
Winter inspection
« on: July 28, 2018, 01:31:55 am »
Hey guys
I know it's winter but it was such a lovely day today, I had to inspect the bees to see how they are going since I have checked on them for 2 months. It was 22-23degrees celuis and not a breath of wind. I opened up the hive and besides the two end frames the box was loaded with honey. Only problem was the brood pattern is still not the best and I noticed although there is heaps on honey there is very little pollen. I've inspected the bees and they are all in flowers and the flowers should be loaded with pollen but when they fly back there legs seem bare. Now besides alot of bee mummies on the floor outside the hive. They hive looks alright. Just surprised they haven't filled comb out on the outer frames yet. And there seems to be alot of bees in the box they cover at least 6 frames plus alot flying in. Do you guys reckon I should feed them pollen or is it just that time of year

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Winter inspection
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 09:58:22 am »
In my neck of the woods, feeding in winter is a good way to kill a hive.  The bees know what they are doing.  Wait until you have sustained warm weather.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
Re: Winter inspection
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 05:30:06 pm »
With the mummies bees you don't have to worry much about the winter mites taking over.  If it is a prolong
winter without much new bees to take over the hive after the older Autumn bees are dead then you might have a
hive crash situation.   The big fat winter bees which live longer from the reduced brood nest are the ones sustaining the
small hive through out this winter until next Spring again.

Without these big fat winter bees for replacement they might not make it.  My last winter little bee experiment was a good example of trying to use a
100 watt light bulb to keep them going.  Posted my findings here somewhere.

I say if your winter weather is mild like our CA weather that the bees can fly to defecate then feed them the patty subs until Spring time.  I will feed them
the sugar bricks and home made patty subs this winter just like the last 3 seasons with good results.   My Italians queens do not shut down with
stimulated feeding because they are the Sept/Oct mated queens.   Maybe you should try some patty subs to compare!

anything