Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: If that ain't country..,  (Read 8012 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
If that ain't country..,
« on: August 06, 2016, 05:14:20 pm »
Today I was bush hogging my field. I saw a big ol field rat run and stop. I retrieve my 9mm Springfield XDS from it's holster and popped his but on the first shot then continued on bush hogging. I got to thinking, man - this is the good life, shooting rats from a tractor. Like the old song use to say; "If that ain't country, I'll kiss your ---."
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: If that ain't country..,
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 07:45:02 pm »
Nice shooting.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 11:33:49 am »
I'm bush hogging today. Hope I get as lucky!

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 11:05:45 am »
YOu know what they say a country boy can survive

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 11:12:53 am »
I been practicing shooting left handed. getting better. when everything goes south. country will keep going and cities will die.

john

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 12:21:00 pm »
You guys are bad to the bone.  I used to rabbit hunt with my little ruger mark 1 pistol.  If I had to relie on it for food, I would starve to death.
gww

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 12:27:08 pm »
You guys are bad to the bone.  I used to rabbit hunt with my little ruger mark 1 pistol.  If I had to relie on it for food, I would starve to death.
gww
If you had to rely on it for food, you'd improve.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 12:28:10 pm »
gww
GWW,
if you take that Mark 1, add a Red Dot scope to it and get some buddies together and go shooting once a week, every week, you will be able to hit a silver dollar at 25yards consistently.
I have the Hunter and it is basically the same gun. They are very accurate.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 05:29:58 pm »
Good points.  It is acually the pre-mark 1 called the red eagle or something.  Made while ruger was still alive.  Fixed sites and shoots just a tiny bit to the left.  I don't do any better with the redhawk 44 mag which I have a reloader.  I use to shoot a lot but always open sites.  My brother in law has the red dot and it is better but I guess I don't care.  I have gotten cheeper and just can't make myself shoot as many expencive bullets as I did when I was younger.
Cheers
gww

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 07:27:12 pm »
I miss my mark I . I had both the I and II. love them. wish I could find them at a decent price. I pick one up in a heart beat.

john

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 08:14:03 am »
I love the challenge of iron sites.

When I was sitting up there on that tractor taking aim I was thinking; "There ain't no way I'm not gonna tell everybody if I hit that rat!"

[Living life one acre at a time]

TSC
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 05:37:40 pm »
I love the challenge of iron sites.

When I was sitting up there on that tractor taking aim I was thinking; "There ain't no way I'm not gonna tell everybody if I hit that rat!"

[Living life one acre at a time]

TSC

Oh. so it was a lucky shot hum. ha ha. but still good practice. hickock45 on youtube. has video call drive by shooting on a tractor. pretty funny.

john

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 08:12:18 am »
Love Hickock's videos I'll have to check that one out for sure. I try to send a couple hundred rounds down range every month with my pistol. Don't mean I'm good just means I shoot a lot.

It's been so stinking hot lately the misery index is too high to enjoy anything.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 09:24:43 am »
I've shot up four or five hundred rounds in an afternoon of prairie dog hunting... and I don't shoot much... a friend used to be a competition pistol shooter in the Navy and he shot 1,000 rounds a day from his 1911 for decades...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 12:29:32 pm »
After shooting a while my eyes gets tired and my accuracy begins to fail. I like ending on a good note.

I have some RR crossties in the back pasture with barbwire strung across the top. I hang pots, boilers, and frying pans from it. It's a ton of fun hitting them with a .22 rifle. You don't have to check to see if you've hit it because it'll cling and ping.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 12:44:36 pm »
I used to shoot black powder rifles some.  They use suspended iron plates like that for targets.  One old boy was called "Big Bore" because he shot a .70 caluber rifle.  They always made him shoot last because when that big lead bullet hit the gong, it would take the gong, chain and all down range and everything had to stop while they hung it back up.  Sometimes, Slim Pickens was one of the shooters. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 02:05:51 pm »
Well I'm sitting on the back porch about 4:15am drinking my coffee and just listening to the sounds I hear. I hear this one chicken sound like it fell off of it's roost. I'm thinking, stupid bird. Then a few minutes later I heard some more wings flapping like one of them is repositioning themselves on the roost. I'm like hummm. Now my ears are standing straight up. A few more minutes later I heard one fly out the door. I'm like ut-oh this ain't right. So I grab my judge along with a high beam flashlight and walk down there. The chicken house and yard is enclosed top and bottom in an outdoor wire cage yard. I shined the flashlight in there and saw a small 'possum going back and forth. Needless to say, I love my judge.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 12:11:36 am »
The only things I see from my tractor when I'm bush hogging is mice.  I'm too old to hit them with anything but a stick.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 12:41:45 am »
I have yet to see any wild  animals while running my tractors but my uncle used to say he would see hunters in the fields and the deer and pheasants would be walking just ahead of the combine the whole way until he was just about finished the field and then they would run for the woods.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 01:34:35 am »
Jim, you can start the bush hogging around the outside of the field and work toward the middle.  As the amount of grass and weeds get smaller, they will start to run across the already cut part.  Back 20 years or so ago I carried a 12 gauge pump to shoot rats and snakes.  Half grown rabbits or smaller, I would stop the tractor, get off, and catch them.  Take em to the house for the kids to raise.  Lots didn't believe I could catch the rabbits, but you can stay between them in the cut part, work closer to them throw your hat over in front of them and they would run right to you.
The fellow that rents my fields now for hay has got up turkey and saw where deer have been laying in the back field.
Now I shoot snakes and things with my 9mm, maybe cheating a little, I have a green dot laser and the dot is pretty accurate.

Joe D

anything