Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Paint fumes in boxes  (Read 2643 times)

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
Paint fumes in boxes
« on: May 08, 2015, 08:30:00 am »
I am in need for a few more SBBs, inner covers and migratory covers. I make all my hives. How long would I have to wait after painting them before I can use them in my be yard?  I use exterior latex paint. I wouldn't want paint fumes to kill off my bees.
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: Paint fumes in boxes
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 12:26:07 pm »
I usually wait a week with the boxes in full sun. I also paint the bottoms and tops with extra on the joints. My colors are all over the place (except brown and black) and I use white for all my supers.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 01:24:23 pm »
I don't paint the inside, I give mine about a week to air out. I am painting all my stuff "bull frog" green. d2

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 01:29:45 pm »
I don't paint the inside of my boxes or the inside of the inner or outer covers. I do paint all of the SBB inside and out. I guess I can just paint the outside of the SBBs  and then leave all  of them outside in the sun for a week.
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 06:11:46 pm »
>How long would I have to wait after painting them before I can use them in my be yard?

Since I would never paint the inside, I would use them as soon as I can pick them up and not have my hands stick to them...

but then I wouldn't paint them...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 10:25:50 pm »
I don't paint the insides of my boxes,but I do paint the outside to make them last longer. Besides the paint only cost be $5. Was a miss matched color mix at Lowes. Cheaper for them to sell it real low then pay to have it disposed of in a hazmat landfill.
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 10:49:00 am »
I don't paint the insides of my boxes,but I do paint the outside to make them last longer. Besides the paint only cost be $5. Was a miss matched color mix at Lowes. Cheaper for them to sell it real low then pay to have it disposed of in a hazmat landfill.

I don't paint my boxes. I doubt it makes them last any longer. If I had the equipment and the wax to wax dip that would be a different story. How much time does it take you to paint your boxes? My hives are made out of cheap hemlock. Perhaps it is because I have a lot of larch trees but going forward I plan to use larch for my boxes. My father hired somebody with a portable saw mill because he needed some lumber for a building. So I have quite a bit from that. When it runs out I will get more logs have him come back. It isn't worth the time to paint even if it is only $5/per gallon. By the time you chip the edge with a hive tool any protection the paint gives is gone. With wax dipping the wax penetrates do that isn't an issue. I think my time is better spent building boxes then painting them.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin