Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Observation Hive Project  (Read 6104 times)

Offline blakester

• New Bee
    • Blake Overton
My Observation Hive Project
« on: November 02, 2014, 01:55:58 pm »
Hi, my name is Blake and I'm 15 years old. I am currently a life scout working on my eagle scout project. I have chosen to build an observation hive for my local library in an effort to educate the public on the importance of honeybees. I have received approval for the project and have designed the observation hive. There will be a video kiosk, and will be built to withstand public usage. Right now I am in the process of raising funds to build it.

I will keep you informed of my progress. You can see more details of my project at http://www.blakeoverton.com/eagle-project

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:56:25 pm by Robo »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: My Observation Hive Project
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 03:18:05 pm »
Go get'em, Blake. You're doing a great thing. We need more young beeks.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 04:14:56 pm »
Hi Blake. Have you considered using crowd source funding sites like http://www.gofundme.com?
Good luck on your project. You've found a good resource here to draw from.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 07:19:10 pm »
Very cool, Blake.  :)

Offline blakester

• New Bee
    • Blake Overton
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 09:48:55 pm »
Hi Blake. Have you considered using crowd source funding sites like http://www.gofundme.com?
Good luck on your project. You've found a good resource here to draw from.

Yes, I have crowd source funding set up at http://www.donationto.com/Crew-63-Eagle-Scout-Project-Observation-Beehive

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 11:09:44 am »

Yes, I have crowd source funding set up at http://www.donationto.com/Crew-63-Eagle-Scout-Project-Observation-Beehive
Very good.

I notice this post made it to the facebook group. Good job Admins.. I'm going to share it and donate now. Come on Beeks, lets get this scout the help he needs.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 11:24:49 am »
That's an awesome idea!  Good luck in your endeavor.
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline blakester

• New Bee
    • Blake Overton
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 06:26:40 pm »
Hi everyone, thank you so much for the support. Since the Hive will be in a public place, I need some sort of safety glass or Lexan to withstand the tapping. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either, and possibly the price difference.

Thank You

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 01:06:29 pm »
> I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either, and possibly the price difference.

When making my own I've used Plexiglass, Lexan and regular glass.  I don't recommend the regular glass.  It is too fragile.   I've bought them that had Plexiglass and safety glass.  The Plexiglass is tougher to clean but cheaper and easier to work with.  The safety glass or tempered glass has to be ordered in the exact size you need and you can't cut it.  It's very expensive, but I can't say exactly how much.  You'd have to contact a glass place for that.  The glass can be scraped with a razor blade scraper to clean it.  The plexiglass I clean with a rubber spatula to get the bulk off and then soak it in mineral oil laxative (no perfume) and after it's greasy and clean I wash it with glass cleaner.  It works and can be cheaply replaced when it gets too scratched.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesobservationhives.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline CH05EN

• Brood
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 12:27:27 am »
The plexiglass I clean with a rubber spatula to get the bulk off and then soak it in mineral oil laxative (no perfume) and after it's greasy and clean I wash it with glass cleaner.

Glass cleaner generally contains ammonia, and ammonia causes acrylic to react to it with surface crazing.  That's where the whitish scratchy looking haze comes from over time.  The best thing to use for a final cleaning of acrylic is simply dish detergent and water.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 02:26:59 am »
Hi everyone, thank you so much for the support. Since the Hive will be in a public place, I need some sort of safety glass or Lexan to withstand the tapping. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either, and possibly the price difference.

Thank You

I have no experience with observation hives but I wonder, wouldn't it be easiest to use Plexiglas and make it easily removeable from the inside. Keep a couple extras on hand, and swap it out instead of trying to clean it there. Would a good pressure washer be effective at cleaning any buildup on the Plexiglas?  Just tossing out ideas.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 04:52:03 pm »
Only 18 days left. I sent mine. Have you?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline blakester

• New Bee
    • Blake Overton
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 08:08:05 pm »
Hello, I?ve been busy with school work, but I've been working on my project.  Fundraising continues and I have created a plan on what I am going to do, and what time frame I plan to do it. I plan to use a raspberry pi instead of a tablet for kiosk because it is less expensive and I can have a larger display. A raspberry pi is a small computer that is programmable to do many things, in this case, show a presentation. It is around 1/3 the price of tablet, so it is a better all around option in my case. I'm hoping to start the physical construction of the hive in May. Thank You.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 09:59:31 pm »
Thanks for the update.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 10:21:29 pm »
Rock on, Blakester!  :grin: