Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Keeping changes to Domesticity  (Read 1373 times)

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Bee Keeping changes to Domesticity
« on: January 26, 2018, 04:05:43 am »
Topic was initiated by the comment quoted below and subsequent
quips as conversation;
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=50873.msg447755#msg447755
"Depending on the amount of wax needing to be processed will dictate the
solution.  I have to much wax and not enough time for a solar wax melter. 

I use a turkey fryer."

As often occurs within forums a link was posted to a web bLog which
addresses the invasion of the honeybee into the family home.
Made me chuckle, in light of my own experience in a number of households
over many years - very well written piece.

- enjoy.

Bill
????????????????????????????????????????????
extract;
"Many of my web visitors are soon-to-be beekeepers preparing for their first delivery of honey bees. They have read, attended classes, and talked to other beekeepers. Some write to me with a few last-minute questions. But what they envision and what I foresee are completely different.

I was reminded of this beekeeping reality while watching a beginner video on YouTube. While sappy music played in the background, a lilting voice explained that once you become a beekeeper you will embrace nature for the first time! You will become attuned to weather and blooms! You will blossom as a person!

Wow. I imagine a barefoot flower child romping through a verdant meadow, a ring of daisies in her hair and a bouquet of dandelions clutched in her fist. Beekeeping is your entry into a world of peace and love and grass stains. Kumbaya in a box"

(read on)       https://honeybeesuite.com/beekeeping-will-change-worse/

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
Re: Bee Keeping changes to Domesticity
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 12:20:28 pm »
Encapsulates the beginner's journey fairly well.  That is, the beginner that makes it beyond the 1st Kumbaya phase.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 01:32:04 pm »
Lol. I?m not that bad. I must be better at keeping my bees and their stuff at the hives. The two things that has effected my family is sugar syrup and the bees during a dearth. I have historically never been able to avoid making a mess when making sugar syrup. I?m getting better and even bought a hot plate to keep in my workshop to avoid my wife?s wrath. Then when it comes to the dearth...ya bees everywhere. I may try open feeding this year to help keep them directed away from everything else.

Otherwise I?ve been able to keep the goo away. My bees are in a place that nobody goes anyways. My language has always been foul. I?ve never really stressed that much about my personal appearance and I have young kids so my house is always in a state of generalized mess. My freezer is still for food. I also have no neighbors.

Now that I think about it I did all of a sudden start spending quite a bit of money on bees, however I generally take the money I make on honey and reinvest it. I also now spend an inordinate amount of time reading about bees, talking about bees, and watching videos/talks about bees lol. It?s just a part of life lol.

I think one point on this article is that people often get into beekeeping with unrealistic expectations and are ultimately disappointed, especially those feel good types. They quickly find out that things go wrong way to often and that rainbow is gone. Then they have hundreds of dollars invested in something they no longer find fun.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 05:19:05 pm »
(edit)
I also now spend an inordinate amount of time reading about bees, talking about bees, and
watching videos/talks about bees lol. It?s just a part of life lol.

It is likely an Aussie 'thing' and so not addressed in that article where
on discovering you "have bees" friends, okay, "acquaintances", look
quizzically upon you almost as though you suddenly grew a lobobtic
lump of huge proportions..!
It may have a connection with that lady's description as an evil venomous
organism (paraphrased) where your sanity is suddenly now in question
on discovering you 'play' with such things. "Honey comes in a bottle,
don't it, why the heck would you want to go there..!!?"
Something so engrained in my psyche I would rarely mention bees outside
of those interested. I certainly do not discuss Apis or Tets at dinners....
....heh  :cheesy:

Bill