BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

How much space

(1/6) > >>

craneman54:
How much space should there be between the bottoms of frames in lowest super to the top of the bottom board.

I am using the plans I downloaded here and it seems the space comes out to about 1/2".

I will be using a screened bottom board with a solid removable bottom board under the screened on.

OldMech:

It depends on which side of a standard commercial bottom board you use. One side is 3/8 and one side is 3/4.. The bottoms of my frames are about 1/8 of an inch over the standard 3/4 inch depth of my bottom boards.

craneman54:
OK so the bees don't get back into the hive by going straight up from say the middle of the bottom board. Meaning they climb up the side walls to get to the frame.

I know they need at least a 3/8" opening to get into the hive. If you have the 3/8" opening at the entrance,what would be the max opening between the BB and the bottom of the frames?

thewhiterhino:
From Wikipedia

In America

L.L. Langstroth's patent of 5 October 1852 adopted 3⁄8 inch (9.5 mm) between the side bars of a frame and hive wall, and also reserved rights to use the distance 1⁄2 inch (13 mm) between top-bars and inner cover, the latter of which represents a gap larger than optimal.

The term "bee space" was coined later than Langstroth's 1852 patent. Occasionally incorrect definitions are ascribed to "bee space". Term easily confused with "bee space" include: inter-comb space, 1⁄2 inch (13 mm); the distance from frame to hive wall, 1/4 to 3/8 inch (6.35 to 9.53 mm); and even the distance from frame to hive bottom, which can be as little as 1/4 inch but ranges to as much as 3/4 inch (6.35 to 19.05 mm).

Much of the space merges into the opinion range like many other things in beekeeping..

Ross

craneman54:
Thanks
My hives fall within those dimensions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version