BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Staple guns for frames and nail guns for Supers whats the best?

(1/8) > >>

squidink:
Hi Peoples,

Im starting to make quite a few frames with foundation from scratch and asembling supers/bodies.
I now have over 10 hives.

My questions are;

Whats the best Staple gun to use on frames? ie electric, gas, air etc?

Whats the best nail gun to use for supers, bottoms and roofs?

Is there a good single tool that will work well on both?

Im using the nail and hammer approach for frames (and wood glue) and with the supers I am doing pilot holes and running 50mm scews to join it all together..

I am a chef by trade so building tool knowledge is not my forte!

Thanks,

Ben

prestonpaul:
Where in Melbourne are you? I am just starting up as well and used a narrow crown (1/4 inch I think) air stapler for frames and glued and screwed the boxes (Rabeted type) The air stapler is a godsend, I already had it from another project, bought it from Aldi when they had them but Bunnings have them as well. I couldn't imagine nailing frames together, I think I would still be out in the garage  :-D I plan on using it on the next supers I build as well. I'll use finger jointed supers next time and staples will be more enough. I only used rabeted boxes last time as that was all that was available. I used the staple gun for the top and base with a few screws for good measure. I can't remember what size staples  I used but I can find out if you are interested.
Hope that helps.
Paul.

troutstalker2:
   I bought an electric brad nailer for frames. It was a great time saving investment. As far as the supers go, I don't mind nailing them together by hand. I'm sure a pneumatic nailer would be better and maybe more versatile, but 60 bucks verses 200 and I probably would not use the air nailer for anything else but honey frames, I just bought an electric.
  By the way, does squidink refer to pasta. I too am a chef by trade....David

squidink:
Hi Paul, I am in Nunawading. What brand and model is the air stapler your using? I have got myself in a great rythem putting the frames together with a hammer and nails but I think i could reduce the time down to 1/4! Specially this season i wish to nock out some more hives..

Hi David a fellow chef! what brand/model electric nailer are you using for the frames?

thank for the feedback fella's!

cheers Ben

Hemlock:
For frames;
A small pneumatic nail & staple gun with a 125 psi compressor has worked for me over the last 3 years.  I use 1.5 inch staples.

Supers;
Nails, hammer, & wood glue.  Screws are fine but a box joint is already strong.  The nails just keep it in place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version