Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First year of beekeeping Fruita CO.  (Read 2158 times)

Offline BinFamHive7814

• Brood
First year of beekeeping Fruita CO.
« on: June 11, 2017, 04:41:27 pm »
We are organic backyard farmers. This last fall we decided that we were going to host a hive. So, we ordered a starter kit. I didn't read enough & ordered medium 8 frame boxes instead of 10 frame. Which has been a struggle. We received our package of bees mid April & they are thriving. We have provided dappled shade & are feeding sugar water. Just added our 4th box last week & they're already building up the comb. Our bottom 2 boxes are mostly brood. Our 3rd box is almost full of capped honey. We thoroughly enjoy all our garden helpers. We're still reading everything we can get a hold of. Right now we are looking at 7 boxes. We would love any advice, pointers, or corrections. Thank you.

Offline brookscj

• New Bee
Re: First year of beekeeping Fruita CO.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 07:45:04 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful information and folks here!
"Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul."  Luther Burbank

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 08:05:56 pm »
Welcome  :happy:.

Put your location in your profile.  It will help with answering any questions you have.  If they have a box full of honey, why are you still feeding them?  I haven't fed any of my hives(including splits) since mid march.
In my neck of the woods, 3 eight frame mediums will winter just fine.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 12:18:09 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
I must warn you, this is a very addictive hobby.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:16:10 am »
>So, we ordered a starter kit. I didn't read enough & ordered medium 8 frame boxes instead of 10 frame.

Well after 43 years of beekeeping, that's exactly what I would have ordered... 8 frame mediums...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Tavery

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 12:09:08 pm »
We were just in Fruita!  wish I had seen this before. we could have checked out your have and said HI. Oh well next vacation perhaps, we will be back some day It was a great area. camped in the mountains north of Boulder Co and drove around the area to see the sights.  Capital Reef, Burr Trail Road (wow!) etc.  I ditto Micheal's 8 frame medium endorsement (makes life a bit simpler).

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 05:27:36 pm »
that's exactly what I would have ordered... 8 frame mediums...
Just what I was thinking.  The bees are storing sugar water along with nectar so the honey is adulterated.  Organic farming and you are adulterating your honey!  What for?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 10:07:01 pm »
Welcome!

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 05:15:37 pm »
Welcome

Love your city, I try to stop for gas and a meal when going from IL to UT and back.

Where are you in town.......I can stop by next time.

Gary

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 05:20:55 pm »
Bin,
How can we provide any feed back if you never sign back in to read it.   :oops:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin