Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Howto: Administer an Epinephrine Shot  (Read 66746 times)

Offline lowlander

• New Bee
Re: Howto: Administer an Epinephrine Shot
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 12:20:59 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I commend everyone for their comments and info.  I am first aid certified with the Canadian Coast Guard and the only thing that I can add is that if you find someone who has just been stung and has an epi pen of their own you may still need to help.  This is because the needle on an epi pen is quite thick and hurts when it goes in - in most cases it will leave a good bruise.  The normal reaction for people who have used an epi pen in the past, is that they will be holding the epi pen in their hand - not wanting to give it to themselves because they know how much it will hurt.  You need to ask their permission to give it to them, if they start to pass out, are not able to answer or black out, you can assume consent is given and administer the epi pen.

Brian
Bees-R-Us

Offline redbeard

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 10:06:32 am »
If you don't have an epi pen you can use benedryil.  The kind that come in the strips that melt on your tongue.  That is one of the faster ways for medicine to enter the body other than injection. 

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 12:49:23 pm »
Our doctor also would not prescribe a pen for me.  He was concerned about the liability if we used it on someone else (which is the point as my husband and I have not had problems, yet, with stings).  The bottle of bendryl is a good idea, I'm going to make sure I at least have that in my cabinet.
We love the girls...

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 09:25:23 pm »
 I bought a package of 2 pens today. $60. Ouch, unless, someone around me needs it. My doctor did not give me a problem writting the prescription along with all the other drugs (mostly heart). All I did when he questioned me was say that I never knew when my immunity could go the other way. "You know how it can be with histens Doc". Also wrote it with 2 refills. I never aluded that it could be for someone else. Always me.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 02:18:43 am »
Good information.  One never knows what kind of situation my arise.

David

Offline JayC

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 12:34:55 pm »
Telling a doc that you want it on hand to give "someone" is probably a bad idea.  Some docs, without knowing you have an allergy, may just be stubborn and refuse to do it.  Hopefully most wouldn't be like that.  I plan on telling my doc that while I've been stung twice, and have had normal reactions, but that my dad has a history of anaphyllaxis, and that I'd rather have an epi pen around in case I follow his footsteps.  Now...  I'm not telling anyone to lie to their doc, but unless your doc is also your dad's doc...

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 09:29:38 am »
I agree this is a must read for all.  thanks for the book it should bee published on the top reads. I know I learned a lot thanks.
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline OK Wildlife Control

• New Bee
  • I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
    • Oklahoma Wildlife ControlĀ® Limited Liability Company
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 02:43:13 am »
I didn't read all of the replies, so this might have already been addressed ... but I did read the first few.

An Epi-pen is a prescription ... and only for use for the one to whom it's prescribed. It can have fatal consequences if used improperly, or on someone else for whom it's not prescribed.
http://oktrapsupply.com
Our toolbar!
Mbr: OFBA,OPHA,NWCOA,GOA,NRA

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 10:36:14 pm »
OK, I like your little quote.  The one about the cop being too heavy.  We need more lawabiders carrying guns.  I am a cop, and that is my opinion. 

Anyway, I was not sure where to post this question, but this looked like about the best spot.  What is a normal reaction to a bee sting?  When I get stung, I have some heavy-duty swelling at the sting site.  For example, I was stung on the top of my foot last night.  Long story...  Today I have an ankle and foot that are about twice their normal size.  This happens every time I am stung.  Huge local swelling.  I dont mind it, neccessarily, I just wondered if this was a normal reaction.  My wife is concerned that I am "mildly allergic".  I keep telling her that I will buiild an immunity over time.  I am starting to wonder, though. 

Thanks for any responses. 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline Karl Wisconsin

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 11:00:17 pm »
Big thing to remember : If someone is getting into trouble call 911. In some cases a second epi pen is needed. Get help coming immediately. I was an E.M.T. for 21 years here in Wisconsin. Each of our ambos carried at least two pens.
Trying to age gracefully- don't think its working!!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 11:35:18 pm »
Zane, tell your Doc that you're a beekeeper and have heard of other beeks who have developed an intolerance to the stings and you only want it "just in case" most will oblige. After all he doesn't want you wearing a body bag to your next visit eh?

I keep a coulpe of epipens in the frige, both adult and epipen juniors just in case. My father developed an intolerance (suprisingly not from too many bee stings but rather from too many fire ant stings,,,similar toxins I surmise) but he still works bees knowing that the pen is never far away.

Note: if you ever have to use one you still need immediate medical attention!

Peace be yours,
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 11:43:23 pm »
joker, you have a large local reaction.  it  may get better, or it may get worse.  i have the same and it has been that way always.  i have the epi-pens just in case.  it you have reactions it's worth it to carry the pens in case your reactions develop into a full blown allergy.  what you have now is a sensitivity to the stings.  your doc should have no problem writing for them and you should get 2.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 11:37:45 am »
Kathy, since I asked this question I have been stung numerous times....(obviously, right? LOL)  I no longer have a sensitivity, it seems.  The last 15, or so, times I have been stung have resulted in little to no swelling.  Most of those times were through my suit.  I thought, maybe, it was because the stingers were not able to get all the way in.  Not so; I was stung twice this past weekend.  They got me once between the eyes, and once on the ear.  They both felt GREAT!!! :'(  I had no swelling between the eyes, and very very minimal swelling on the ear.  Both stingers were ALL the way in.  The ear stinger drew blood. 

The epi-pen and the benadryl are always at the ready, though.  I am just happy to not have to deal with the swelling and itching.....for now.  I have heard that it can go the other way without warning.  We will see.  :)
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2009, 12:02:58 pm »
um, there is some very important information missing here.  in the interest of safety (and liability of those reading), mods, this should be near the top of the thread, not the bottom.

AN EPI-PEN IS NOT A CURE FOR AN ANAPHALACTIC REACTION.  ITS PURPOSE IS TO BUY TIME WHILE MEDICAL HELP IS ON ITS WAY (OR YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY TO IT).  THE DECISION TO USE AN EPI-PEN SHOULD BE SECONDARY TO THE DECISION TO GET ACTUAL MEDICAL HELP.  IF YOU DON'T NEED MEDICAL HELP, YOU DON'T NEED AN EPI-PEN.  THIS IS A STOPGAP MEASURE, NOT A CURE, NOT A TREATMENT, NOT A SUBSTITUTE. 

i would never advise that someone use an epi-pen on someone other than who it was prescribed for, but i can imagine a situation where i would do so.  i would do my best to get instructions from 911 to do so, but not getting such instructions wouldn't prevent me from doing so...but i would also be on the way to the hospital.

deknow

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2009, 02:56:31 pm »
Good point in bringing this up.  I just assumed that people would understand this fact, but good to mention this.

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 06:14:12 pm »
Have you guys settled on a reliable source for epi-pens yet?  :pop:
Wine Maker
Gardener
BBQ Competition Enthusiast
Interested in Hot Peppers
Texas Apiary Inspection Service

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2010, 11:01:39 pm »
Have you guys settled on a reliable source for epi-pens yet?  :pop:
The only place to get them is from a pharmacy after getting a prescription or if your personal physician gives you one.They can not be purchased over the counter.

Offline Roadigger

• Brood
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 03:53:49 am »

Hello everyone I am new to this site. I have just got back into keeping bees last summer with 4 langsroth hives. I however several years ago got stung about 10 times one day all at one time. I wasn't wearing any hood or anything I was leting my daughter use it. Any ways after we were done didn't think much about it and was getting ready to seat down to eat and I all of a sudden heard pounding in my ears and my body got real heavy and weak. Chest felt heavy also. I yell for my wide to drive me to the hospital. Sice I live in the country. I had my head out the window sucking air as it helped. by the time I got there I was covered in hives and itching. They took care of me and kept me over night. The doctor told me I had
 anaphalic shock spell wrong. he said no more bees for me and that I could die next time. For some reason you can become allergic at any time in your life. I went to an allergist and she was really intrested in treating me. I said I just got to do bee I love it. She agreeded and I took bee venom shoots for a year.
 I probably should of taken them longer because they say it can take a few years. But she told me I was protected and if I really wanted to take the chance she could not stop me. So with 2 epi pens I started off with 4 hives. After installing bees I was wearing Black socks and was working them faceing the entrance what a dope. I got stung about 8 times on my ankles as my wife watch me. I sat down and waited it out to see what would happen to me. Nothing just the usual swelling and itch. I then continued to get some bees and sting my self about 4 times a week and I have been good to go . So watch it all of you I am 6 foot 6 and those 10 little women who stung me almost took me down. But I love bees as you all do.   Ron

Offline Dracono

• House Bee
    • Rachels Amazing Spices
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2010, 02:22:18 am »
Here is a safty NOTE for every one who uses an epi-pen... when you give it to your self or some one else
make sure to not have your thumb over the back ove the pen for it can break and you get the spring shoved through your thumb....
I know this porsonaly. I was in my E.M.T. class and the teacher accedently had done this and had to be rushed to the e.r. as for it when straight through his thumb.

I have Epie-pens also. I had just told my doc that I am now starting to keep bee's and I wanted to be safe...
and she asked me if I ever had an alergic reactions to bee stings.
O told her when I was a kid I was a stupid young kid and when I was in the forest I had tossed rocks at this hive... BAD ME almost cost me my life. I berly mad it back to the highway and woke up in the E.R.
So she whent on and gave me the pens. although I have had been stung sence then but not more then 1 be at a time. I want to be safe just in case.

As for if I had to use it on any one else I would do so with out a second thought. The 2 best places to give the shot at is the outer side of the thigh and on the tricept although it hurts more on the arm but it works much faster... FYI.
Dracono

Offline Storm

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2010, 12:02:01 am »
I am a beek who is allergic.  I am a second generation beek, and as a child, I was stung in the throat by a bumble bee that was looking to rob a hive my uncle and I were working.  Later that same summer, I accidentally backed into a tree that had a hornet's nest, and was stung over 25 times along the length of my body, resulting in anaphylaxis and renal toxicity.  Since then a single sting will result in a reaction ranging from severe swelling and redness, to full-blown allergic reaction with hives, itching, and breathing loss. 

I always carry my epi-pens in the apiary, and usually some liquid children's benadryl as well, for the more mild stings.  By the way, the correct dose of Liquid Children's Benadryl for an adult having a moderate allergic reaction (i.e. severe swelling but no hives or anaphylaxis) is 8 teaspoons.  This equals 50mg of regular Benadryl.  If you are having hives and itching, or trouble breathing, it is best to use the epi-pen and get medical help, IMHO.  As stated repeatedly on this forum, one never knows when the allergy will take a nasty turn.

Take it from me...don't let allergies keep you from your bees.  And all beeks would be wise to learn how to use the pen, for their own sake, and for the life they might one day save.