BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Pollen Identification

(1/2) > >>

Saucy:
Good morning

I am very interested in the different types of pollen my bees are bringing in and would love to be able to identify the source. Would anyone know if there is a web site where I could get this information?

Many thanks.

Finman:

--- Quote from: Saucy ---Good morning

I am very interested in the different types of pollen my bees are bringing in and would love to be able to identify the source. Would anyone know if there is a web site where I could get this information?

Many thanks.
--- End quote ---

Hi, it is now middle of the day in Finland 11:50

You should go to nature and see with your own eyes, what kind of pollen bees take with them. It is imposible to tell with words  the colors. Sorbus aucuparia : greenes - grey or dirty white.  Oxalis acetosella: like snow ball.

But idea is good. If someone take a picture from bee's pollen and from flower.

There is also blooming time, what species are in blossom.

Anonymous:
I hardily agree, just go to the hive and back line the bees to the nector/pollen source. I have been able to identify a light grey my girls carry in during the last of April to the end of May as coming from the wild Russian Olive bushes scatered in an overgrowen farm field. A very bright yellow during the same time frame comes from wild mustard I allow to grow in last years veggie garden and also from the dandolions. Right now they are bring in a pinkish hue pollen and as best I can see it is from the red clover in the old veggie garden.
 :D Al

Finman:

--- Quote from: trail twister ---Right now they are bring in a pinkish hue pollen and as best I can see it is from the red clover in the old veggie garden.
 :D Al
--- End quote ---

Hi Twister

Red clower is same as in Finland. Here the pollen of all clover's are dark brown. It has flowers here about after 2 months.

Now were have a lot of taraxacum officinale. It gives a good honey and orange pollen. http://www.gartendatenbank.de/pflanzen/taraxacum/img/004.jpg

Saucy:
Thank you. I have tried to "follow" the bees but with no success! I have got a feeling that they are flying over common trees and plants and have found something interesting and productive further afield. I have planted a number of "bee" flowers and they are just not interested.

We have a lot of oil-seed rape which is abound at this time and it looks like they have found something better.

I need to identify the pollen so I can start looking for the source.

Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version