BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

How to clean this honey extractor?

(1/2) > >>

TheFuzz:
The instructions are really vague. Its difficult and awkward to clean because one side of it doesn't open up. It sort of looks like it can be unscrewed to then properly clean it but I'm not sure, I'm concerned I'll damage it that way.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/DfrZQTx

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: TheFuzz on October 09, 2021, 08:11:15 pm ---The instructions are really vague. Its difficult and awkward to clean because one side of it doesn't open up. It sort of looks like it can be unscrewed to then properly clean it but I'm not sure, I'm concerned I'll damage it that way.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/DfrZQTx

--- End quote ---

Fuzz, I have not seen an extractor made quite like this one you have pictured. If you don't mind my asking, how many deep frames does it hold?

BeeMaster2:
Ben,
It looks like a 9/20 frame extractor. I count 5 slots in a quarter section.

Fuzz,
I just take my extractor outside, after I used a spatula to get as much honey as possible out, and use a garden hose with a good nozzle and wash it out.
Honey completely dissolves in water making it easy to clean. You will probably have to scrape off a few spots of wax and propolis with your finger nail.
Jim Altmiller

beehappy1950:
I usually take mine apart and lift the rack out and let the bees have it. Then when the bees are done I wash it out. Watch when you dump it out as there is a 5/16 ball bearing in the bottom the rack sits on. If you lose it they sell them at about any hardware store.. You can use a dab of food grade grease on the bearing if you like. Dont think you can get honey up that far anyway.

Acebird:
Put a couple of fake frames in and run it slowly with cold water.   That will clean the honey and wax.  Use a material that is heavier than water so they don't float up.  Other option is just hose and cold water.  The propolise will remain and will need hot water and soap.  I wouldn't bother taking it apart.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version