BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Burr comb question

(1/3) > >>

BeeMarie:
Hi!
Ive been keeping bee's for about two years now. Recently I've been away from my hives due to medical reasons. A friend ( who's been beekeeping longer) inspect the hive for me and there was some burr comb on the inner cover which they removed. They didn't notice the comb had some brood larva in it. Will disturbing this comb effect the hive?

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: BeeMarie on June 10, 2021, 02:47:01 pm ---Hi!
Ive been keeping bee's for about two years now. Recently I've been away from my hives due to medical reasons. A friend ( who's been beekeeping longer) inspect the hive for me and there was some burr comb on the inner cover which they removed. They didn't notice the comb had some brood larva in it. Will disturbing this comb effect the hive?

--- End quote ---

Hi BeeMarie, Welcome to Beemaster. Removing Burr comb should not affect the health of your hive unless your queen was on this burr comb and removed with it.  In that case the bees will have to develop a new one provided you had eggs or larva two days of age or less. Larva of one day or less would be even better because it will take the bees a minute to realize they had lost the queen, but two days should be fine. The chances are all is well! PS hope your health has improved and is improving!

BeeMarie:
Thank You!

Oldbeavo:
If the bees put burr comb in the lid or inner cover it was because they wanted more room or they saw it as spare space.
They will probably put it back because they have a reason to put it there in the first place.
Why BK's spend time cleaning things up for the bees is a mystery.It takes a lot of honey/energy to produce wax. Let the bees be bees.

iddee:
Don't worry about the brood. It is most likely drone brood when in burr comb. They either have too large a space there, or they need more frames. Check the bee space and adjust it, and be sure they have empty space in frames to expand.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version