Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Vac discussions  (Read 8573 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Bee Vac discussions
« on: June 08, 2021, 01:09:23 pm »

For those interested in the Colorado Bee Vac that Ben described, here is the website:

https://www.coloradobeerescue.com

Here is the Bushkill:

https://www.beevac.com
The above quote comes from 2sox's post on another topic.
I have looked at the two systems and I have comments.  The Colorado system has a valve on the vacuum head and I didn't see any adjustable "regulator" on the Bushkill model.  Did I miss it?  I am not thrilled about where the valve is located on the Colorado brand.  In my view it should be located on the catch box.  The reason being if the hose should ever get plugged at least you will have some air getting to the majority of the bees so they don't overheat or suffocate.  Both systems have a screen between the vacuum head and the bees so in my view the peg board doesn't have any value.
Looking at the Bushkill video in action it appears to me that the air flow is greatly reduced at the nozzle.  And the nozzle is connected to a 2 1/2 in hose which means the air flow will be even less in the hose and almost nothing in the catch box.
edited to give credit where credit is do.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 04:48:05 pm by Acebird »
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Bee Vac discussions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 01:13:22 pm »
Actually I was not describing the Colorado vac but my home build Colorado (type) vac.

Post by 2Sox.

Ben,
EXCELLENT post.  Extremely clear. Thank you. And I had not known the reason for the holes and the peg board before you described it here. Very logical and scientific. Thank you for that.  For those interested in the Colorado Bee Vac that Ben described, here is the website:

Here is the Bushkill:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 11:48:26 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 01:52:34 pm »
I am not familiar enough with the brushkill (RoBo) to answer. I can say I have only heard good things about it as watching videos where folks are using it, and using it regularly. The video of that great vac, which I posted describes the vac in detail. The fellow which posted the video had no dog in the hunt with RoBo to my knowledge. His subscribers were so impressed with this vac, that MANY kept asking him questions about this vac, so he made the good video explaining the RoBo vac out of kindness. I am sure it has a pressure relief. I can?t remember if it is on the catch box or not.

Rather than going back and re-explaining the purpose of the peg board on my home built vac, the Colorado type vac, I will simply refer the topic and post where; to the best to my ability,  already explained.

TOPIC: Trap out gone sour: Suggestions?
REPLY 50

I hope that helps.....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 02:04:55 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 02:13:47 pm »
Let me add anyone thinking of building or buying either style vac. The time it takes to gather the materials, put everything together etc is just not cost effective when you can simply order one ready to go... In my opinion, speaking from experience......

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 02:26:03 pm »
The above quote comes from Phil's post on another topic.
I have looked at the two systems and I have comments.  The Colorado system has a valve on the vacuum head and I didn't see any adjustable "regulator" on the Bushkill model.  Did I miss it?  I am not thrilled about where the valve is located on the Colorado brand.  In my view it should be located on the catch box.  The reason being if the hose should ever get plugged at least you will have some air getting to the majority of the bees so they don't overheat or suffocate.  Both systems have a screen between the vacuum head and the bees so in my view the peg board doesn't have any value.
Looking at the Bushkill video in action it appears to me that the air flow is greatly reduced at the nozzle.  And the nozzle is connected to a 2 1/2 in hose which means the air flow will be even less in the hose and almost nothing in the catch box.

I'll answer this here as I think this thread is an attempt to move the bee vac discussion from the other thread.

The Bushkill bee vac has the bypass on the top cover for adjusting suction at the hose end.   By doing it this way you are not adding extra load on the vac motor by restricting the air through it.   You can easily hear the strain on a vac motor when you start restricting the air through it.   This also still provides some airflow to remove hot air if the hose does get clogged.

As far as 2 1/2 inch hose,  people have missed the boat big time on hose choice.   Most are more concerned with smooth bore and just assume the inside of 2 1/2 vac hose looks the same as the outside,  when in reality it is quite smooth as well.   True smooth bore hose is very stiff and inflexible and difficult to work with when doing a removal.   Also, the bigger diameter the hose the less contact the bees have with it.    Not necessarily a great analogy but it gets the point across.      Think about running as fast as you can down a 2ft wide windy hallway  vs a 4ft wide hallway,  which one are you going to hit the wall more??

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 04:46:51 pm »

I'll answer this here as I think this thread is an attempt to move the bee vac discussion from the other thread.
First of all thank you for taking part in this discussion Robo.
The Bushkill bee vac has the bypass on the top cover for adjusting suction at the hose end.

Super, I saw the bypass but I did not see the plastic plate.  Good design and in the right place IMO.
By doing it this way you are not adding extra load on the vac motor by restricting the air through it.

Well technically that is not correct.  When you restrict a vacuum you unload the motor and what you hear is a pick up in speed.  It sounds like it is screaming because it is, nothing to hold it back other than the frequency of the AC.  Now this is even worse for a gas powered blower.  There you only have friction to hold it back.  And overspeed is more destructive to a gas motor.
This also still provides some airflow to remove hot air if the hose does get clogged.
Yes, my point exactly.  Not only heat but oxygen.  When the hose is plugged they got no oxygen to breath.  Locating the regulator in the catchbox and not after it insures that the bees will get oxygen.
Also, the bigger diameter the hose the less contact the bees have with it.    Not necessarily a great analogy but it gets the point across.      Think about running as fast as you can down a 2ft wide windy hallway  vs a 4ft wide hallway,  which one are you going to hit the wall more??
Here again science can explain this.  Because of friction the air in the middle of the hose moves faster than the air around the inside surface of the hose.  The bigger the hose the greater the difference in the velocities.  So the bees are more likely to stay in the center of the hose then near the surface assuming the air flow is great enough to keep them airborn.  This is one of the reasons it is important to understand that it is air flow that is important not air pressure.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 04:57:30 pm »
Robo, I realize you have nothing to gain by debating about the vac situation. Nor the hose situation. Your vac is time, field tested, and proven. You and I both have defended your vac. You because you know your vac. Me because I have heard great things about your vac. 
As stated before, I use a smaller diameter pool vac hose with the smoothest inside as I could find. I want to say for clarity. I am not in any way attempting to discredit you, and I will not. I can not nor would I as your vacs reputation speaks for itself. I am attempting to use my words clearly for understanding and accuracy. My point of this post is an attempt to further explain my point of view related to my successful use of my smaller diameter 30' pool hose and the relevance of its use and importance, especially in hard to reach, high up places and situations where a swarm removal may not be practical by other means, or sometimes even possible. As you have explained your point of view and reasoning as far as hose size. I feel it is reasonable to explain my point of view as well. When we are reaching a swarm thirty feet high, considering the weight of the hose and the weight of the pool pole added, plus the hard part of physics of gravity pulling on each at that height while standing on a 10 foot ladder, plus considering any angle of use which may and come into play in some situations. Under these described factors, the set up can become mighty heavy very quickly, lol. As stated before, I have used this pool hose set up many times at different heights, with great success with an amazingly minimum loss of bees. Almost none.    As Ripley says, believe it; Or not...
:grin:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 07:48:13 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 05:07:57 pm »
Phil I went back to post #50 just to reread what you wrote.  Question: Have you found any debris on the screen after a job is done?
In the Brushkill video the entry hose is in the bottom of the catch box.  Debris might be to heavy to reach the blower.  It might just settle in the bottom of the box.  Dust is not going to hurt the blower.  Paper might be an issue.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 05:26:20 pm by Acebird »
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 05:14:55 pm »
Phil I wetn back to post #50 just to reread what you wrote.  Question: Have you found any debris on the screen after a job is done?
In the Brushkill video the entry hose is in the bottom of the catch box.  Debris might be to heavy to reach the blower.  It might just settle in the bottom of the box.  Dust is not going to hurt the blower.  Paper might be an issue.

Thanks Brian, No I have not ever found any type derby on my screen. 
From that post, It was a long post 🙂
"Never have I found any insulation, or anything else on, or stuck to the 16" wide by 19 7/8" long catch box screen. Adding I have ran this vac for as long as 3 hours straight, numerous times, when doing a difficult cutout, I would be afraid to guess how many hours this vac has ran."

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 05:21:01 pm »
Phil in the spray painting industry you use a 1/2 hose that will allow you to go 100 ft and then use a 1/4 in hose for the last 6 ft for comfort and flexibility.  It is called a whip.  I am not trying to change your methods because you are having success.  Just putting it out there.  I have another question for you: Do you find and catch the queen or do you let her ride through the hose?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 05:34:44 pm »
Phil in the spray painting industry you use a 1/2 hose that will allow you to go 100 ft and then use a 1/4 in hose for the last 6 ft for comfort and flexibility.  It is called a whip.  I am not trying to change your methods because you are having success.  Just putting it out there.  I have another question for you: Do you find and catch the queen or do you let her ride through the hose?

She / they are vacuumed through the hose every time I use the bee vac. Not when I do a limb shake on low lying limbs. But every time I use the vac. As far as I know I have never killed or even injured a queen with my method. When the swarm is on a low limb I will simply shake the bees into an empty set up printing paper box.
Sometimes it is not possible to get close to the swarm when at higher elevations. These are the times I break out the bee vac. Recently I have began dissecting the swarms, looking for multiple queens in a swarm. I explained that method in another thread. My vac is very practical for this use as well. When the vac section is removed or separated if you will; the whole top of the catch box is exposed to view because of the screen top. I take advantage of this when dissecting a swarm. This allows an opportunity to spray the swarm with sugar water as described in the topic "Dissecting a swarm". To much to text here. Anyone interested to can go back to that topic for specifics.

Adding: On cutouts, I have caught the queens both ways, before vacuuming and sometimes through the hose. Also adding when a swarm is low enough to be printer box shaked, I will study the (ball),
the swarm, before a shake. I have found queens that way also. Always have queen clips handy or be quick with your hands. Queen cages will be found on me during this time as well.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 08:08:30 pm by Ben Framed »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 05:45:00 pm »

I understand you description and purpose of the painting hose. Good analogy, in my situation the vacuum motor is not under strain. I only want enough of its suction power to draw bees through the hose, no more. The rest of the suction is unused but still in force and allowed,  diverted through the relief (valve). The motor is never in a strain.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 06:38:26 pm »

Recently  I have began dissecting the swarms, looking for multiple queens in a swarm. I explained that method in another thread. My vac is very practical for this use as well. When the vac section is removed or separated if you will; the whole top of the catch box is exposed to view because of the screen top. I take advantage of this when dissecting a swarm. This allows an opportunity to spray the swarm with sugar water as described in the topic dissecting a swarm. To much to text here. Anyone interested to can go back to that topic for specifics.

I found and now posting of the topic mentioned above.

Dissecting a Swarm
First post
May 10, 2021, 10:28:16 pm
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 08:31:00 pm by Ben Framed »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 09:55:00 pm »
I just thought of something else. With swarm catches it is rare to see derbies at the bottom of the catch box.  When doing cut outs there will be the occasional small something at the (bottom) of my box resting on the slider divider. When I get my new bees home, I place my catch box on top of the new cut out rubber banded set up, new home hive box and remove the slider in order to allow the bees to descend down to their new home as explained in one of the other topics. This is where the Robo vac has an advantage over my home built style. When the catch box bottom section slider is removed when set in place on mine and I suppose the Colorado, anything that may be found in the box will drop into the new hive set up.

From my understanding of Jeffs' description of Robos vac, this will not happen because Robos design, the bees are vacuumed and enter the bottom of his vac catch box and are already home. Any derbies heavier enough to have been vacuumed are already on the bottom of the catch hive box. If this is not right Robo please correct me. This is an advantage to the Robo vac if my understanding is correct.
On the style vac I made, any derby will have to be removed by the bee along with the rubber bands used to hold cut out comb in the frames.

As I said earlier in other post and topics, I am of the opinion you will do well with either of these. I know nothing of the Edwards vac that 2Sox had told up about in the other topic except of what he told us. I would not be afraid of using that vac as well. A bucket vac has to have advantages..
I feel sure there are other bee vacs that have yet to be discussed here. I for one would love to hear of these as well.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 10:08:57 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 10:16:56 pm »
Robo, I realize you have nothing to gain by debating about the vac situation. Nor the hose situation. Your vac is time, field tested, and proven. You and I both have defended your vac. You because you know your vac. Me because I have heard great things about your vac. 

I am not in any way attempting to discredit you, and I will not. I can not nor would I as your vacs reputation speaks for itself.

No worries,  I appreciate respectful discussions of methods.  There is more than one way to skin a cat. There is no one method that works for everyone or every situation.  I'm a firm believer in figuring out what works best for YOU and use it.  We can all learn from others.

I can share that I had a guy (sorry I can't remember his name) who followed the pollinators around in Georgia(?) and collected a ridiculous number (triple digits) of swarms a year and then sold hives back to pollinators the next season.   He didn't have time to screw around on any one swarm and had his truck set up with 10' sections of light weight 2" central vacuum PVC (sch 20?).   He could easily join multiple sections and collect very high swarms in minutes and it is probably lighter than pool hose.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 10:23:09 pm »
From my understanding of Jeffs' description of Robos vac, this will not happen because Robos design, the bees are vacuumed and enter the bottom of his vac catch box and are already home. Any derbies heavier enough to have been vacuumed are already on the bottom of the catch hive box. If this is not right Robo please correct me. This is an advantage to the Robo vac if my understanding is correct.es..
I feel sure there are other bee vacs that have yet to be discussed here. I for one would love to hear of these as well.

That is correct, any debris (or honey covered bees you suck up) remains on the bottom.   It is inevitable that you will eventual suck up bits of sheet rock, plaster, nails, wood, etc when doing removals in some of these awkward positions we get into.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 10:34:35 pm »
That is interesting about the fellow in Georgia with his method of catching and selling bees back to the pollinators! I suppose he may be the bee catching king... Thanks for sharing

As Ace, I really appreciate your feedback Robo! It is not everyday that a person has the opportunity to talk Bee Vacs with the Bee Vac king!
:grin:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2021, 08:45:12 am »
The motor is never in a strain.
As I tried to explain before (maybe not clearly) the motor is under it greatest strain when nothing obstructs the flow of air.  This is no different then any pump that pumps liquids, air, water, oil etc.  If you start to limit the air the motor will unload and speed up.  All the regulator is doing is allowing the air to come to the motor from another source so less comes though the vacuum hose but the same amount goes through the motor.
My objection to the peg board is that it is an obstruction and I can see no reason for it.  Take it out and you can use a much smaller motor.  This will allow you to use a longer extension cord which I think would be an advantage.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2021, 10:08:48 am »
For those interested in the Colorado Bee Vac that Ben described, here is the website:

Here is the Bushkill:

The above quote comes from 2sox's post on another topic.
edited to give credit where credit is do.

Ace,
I?ve come to respect your knowledge of machines, physics, air flow a great deal through reading your posts.  I have a question about your comment above regarding the air control valve on the Colorado. Could you explain with a little more detail why you feel the air flow valve - what you call the regulator - should be placed on the catch box instead of on the vac motor? And what difference that would make in the scheme of things?

I don?t quite understand what you are trying to explain about the nozzle?  What part do you mean when you refer to the nozzle? Thanks.

I would also like to tell everyone that the inventor of the Colorado Vac is very receptive to answering questions about his innovation. He will also take phone calls. We have spoken and exchanged several emails before and after I purchased his machine.  He can be reached at guysemail@aol.com. Perhaps we should invite him to this forum and to the discussion - if he is not a member already.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2021, 10:53:14 am »
The motor is never in a strain.
As I tried to explain before (maybe not clearly) the motor is under it greatest strain when nothing obstructs the flow of air.  This is no different then any pump that pumps liquids, air, water, oil etc.  If you start to limit the air the motor will unload and speed up.  All the regulator is doing is allowing the air to come to the motor from another source so less comes though the vacuum hose but the same amount goes through the motor.
My objection to the peg board is that it is an obstruction and I can see no reason for it.  Take it out and you can use a much smaller motor.  This will allow you to use a longer extension cord which I think would be an advantage.

I understand what you are saying and what you say is reasonable in the type uses you are describing with construction equipment etc. I feel I have failed to help you understand the function of the pegboard in my home build (colorado type) bee vac situation. I will try to explain on the terms you understand and are familiar with. I have noticed on my air compressor, (the 6 gallon pancake one), When no air pressure is in the tank and first turned on it is allowed to run at a faster, full, rpm because there is no load build up at first speaking of psi. The motor is allowed to run the full rpms it was designed to run at. As the psi slowly builds up, then the motor begins to slowly slow down in rpms the more load, the more psi realized, the slower the rpms and motor load until finally, the motor shuts off at 150 psi. By this time the motor really sounds to be under tremendous strain. With the bee vac and peg board in comparison, this type of load is never an issue or achieved with my homemade bee vac. Compare the two, reset compressor max setting to 10 psi instead of 150 psi of compressed air, then the compressor motor immediately shuts off at that 10 psi new setting. No strain is ever realized. This comparison reset should give us a fair comparison to the pegboard function of my bee vac because only a fraction of the output of the beevac is required. Remember, we only need enough suction to get the bees through the hose and in the catch box, without injury to the bees, along with the happy medium of arriving in the catch box without getting stopped up in the hose.

We can use a car for another example or any or any other type motor as you have stated. Let us look at a car engine for instance, going up a mountain as compared to a small grade. Start up a mountain and the higher you drive the more energy it takes to get up that mountain and the more the "strain" is realized by the driver.  Now go up a small incline of only a few feet in height and there is a strain, but a strain that is almost not noticed. Compare this analogy to the extra energy of pegboard and bee vac and it is like comparing the difference in the strain of the mountain, and slight incline of the vehicle example.  You will not hear a difference in motor strain from the car and you will not hear the difference of vac motor strain with my vac. The pegboard does allow plenty of air flow to the catch box area, there are hundreds of peg holes in this board. The only yet simple function of the pegboard is to adjust if you will, or regulate the already low needed suction pressure to be sure to get the bees safely and efficiently through the bee vac pool hose.  Any needed suction is only enough to get the bees to the catch box through this hose, gently and safely. Any unneeded vacuum of the motor is released through the suction relief valve, assisting in no added, unnecessary strain or suction of the be vac apparatus, diverting any strong vacuum we do not need or want in excess of getting bees in the bee vac catch box, affording no damage to the bees.

The only simple yet unique purpose of the peg board is to assure an even, suction of pressure, throughout every square inch of the 16" wide by 19 7/8" long  9' tall catch box.  The peg board can be viewed as a regulator if you will. No matter where the bee is in the open catch box, it has little to no strain from the vac itself because every inch of the inside of the catch box is at an even regulated suction pull. In theory, there is no one part of the catch box that has more suction pull than the other. This is why no foam is needed on the opposite end of the catch box. The bees do not come crashing in the catchbox. The instant the bee enters the open even pressured catch box, it is received with a soft gentle landing because of the regulated air of the pegboard. Unique really. Bees do not have to deal with being pulled here and there, too or fro inside the catch box. Because of the added help of the even suction of the "regulated" peg board air. If I need to go back to the other topic and copy and paste here to assist in my explanation I will be happy too.

I hope that helps you understand the function of the pegboard. (at least on my homebuilt vac design)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:47:47 pm by Ben Framed »

anything