Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Check for stings when being greedy  (Read 1075 times)

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
Check for stings when being greedy
« on: May 30, 2021, 08:36:48 pm »
So the bear in flip-flops got himself a little surprise yesterday. I had been in a jam for frames and stuck a couple mediums in a deep box, on the ends. So the bees had hung combs below the frame, all honey. Half capped.

I cleaned them up into a plastic dish, and checked for bees, then put a little bit in my mouth with the hive tool, up under my veil, greedy-bear-style.

Well when I was cutting the comb off the bottom of the frame I must have gotten a bee. And her sting must have stuck to my tool.  Because while I know I was careful, I got a little "ping" on the roof of my mouth.

I didn't swell up, probably all the venom had already been pumped.  But it was a little check to my greed.

Bee careful!

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Check for stings when being greedy
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 09:23:52 pm »
That would bee a surprise. Never had a sting in my mouth.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 09:57:10 pm »
Oh that's horrible!  I just got my first suit with a zip-on veil, so I've never been able to taste honey in the yard before, and I stuck my honey-covered hive tool in my mouth while inspecting for the first time this week.  It was delicious, but I'll have to keep this in mind next time!  :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 12:43:44 am »
And I thought a bee inside the veil getting into my ear canal was bad. A sting in the mouth...ouch.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 08:51:00 am »
Maybe it was just the venom without the stinger.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 09:53:12 am »
            I got a sting inside my mouth once from a wasp (yellowjacket).  Was on an extended hike with friends, and while eating lunch, I did not see it on next bite of food.   It hurt.:)
jimmy