Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trap out gone sour: Suggestions?  (Read 9267 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
Trap out gone sour: Suggestions?
« on: May 27, 2021, 04:05:29 pm »
I have just completed a trap out - almost.   We opened the ceiling inside the apartment cut only comb with honey and vacuumed a good many bees as we worked.  We determined that the comb forming the central nest were ensconced somewhere between a flat roof and the interior of a brick chimney 5 stories up. It was impossible to determine exactly where they were without further demolition. The cost-benefit ratio of reaching the central nesting areas made it impossible to remove the entire colony. We decided to leave the large hole in apartment ceiling open until the remaining bees flew to the closed window and died inside the apartment (luckily unoccupied and unfurnished). The exterior entrance of the bees has been sealed off.

Closing up the ceiling was not an option at this point because that would cause more bees to get into the apartments in the building - which had been an ongoing problem.

There is a fire escape outside the window.

Time is very much a concern for this co-op building as the unit must be sold - without the bees of course.

What are your thoughts about a bait box on the fire escape to speed things along?  Any other ideas?
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Trap out gone sour: Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 04:31:18 pm »
Quick question. Have you invested in an infrared camera system? You can now get them which attack to your phone. Usually you can find exactly where the bees are located with this tool. 

If you have one and still can?t pin the exact location down.... JP has a video showing how to do a successful chimney trap out. Check it out if you have not already done so. Your bees may not be in the chimney but, the method may still help you.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 04:41:49 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 04:34:19 pm »
A bait box will only feed the bees so they can recover. You must get a cone on the exterior exit and close off all other entrances. Then put eggs   in the catch box and let them gather in it fo 4 to 8 weeks.

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=20301.0
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 07:28:39 pm »
2Socs,
This would bee a disaster if that was located here in florida. As soon as the hive became weak the small hive beetles would start laying eggs all over the hive. In three days they start hatching causing the honey to ferment and drip. In 3 weeks they start crawling out of the hive, looking like maggots, to find dirt. This is a real disaster for the home owner. I hope you do not have SHB. 
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 12:40:36 am »
2Socs,
This would bee a disaster if that was located here in florida. As soon as the hive became weak the small hive beetles would start laying eggs all over the hive. In three days they start hatching causing the honey to ferment and drip. In 3 weeks they start crawling out of the hive, looking like maggots, to find dirt. This is a real disaster for the home owner. I hope you do not have SHB. 
Jim Altmiller

Lucky us. SHB is not an issue here.  Only see them once in awhile.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 12:43:06 am »
Quick question. Have you invested in an infrared camera system? You can now get them which attack to your phone. Usually you can find exactly where the bees are located with this tool. 

If you have one and still can?t pin the exact location down.... JP has a video showing how to do a successful chimney trap out. Check it out if you have not already done so. Your bees may not be in the chimney but, the method may still help you.

Building was built in 1928. Lathe, wire frame and plaster.  Have a FLIR.  No discernible heat signature through that stuff.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 12:49:22 am »
A bait box will only feed the bees so they can recover. You must get a cone on the exterior exit and close off all other entrances. Then put eggs   in the catch box and let them gather in it fo 4 to 8 weeks.

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=20301.0

We thought of a trap out. It meant building a platform attached to the building 4 stories up . All this would add on costs the cooperative was not willing to spend AND be dangerous for the beek.

You had to be there. I?ve done almost 100 cut outs and only ran into a failure one other time.  On a historical building the exterior of which could not be touched.  We left the colony intact on that one.  But this one was truly disappointing. It would be crazy to continue demolition to get at this colony in a brick exterior and ?rubber? roof.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 01:12:04 am »

Building was built in 1928. Lathe, wire frame and plaster.  Have a FLIR.  No discernible heat signature through that stuff.

Wow that makes it tough alright.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 08:15:10 am »
Is there any way to spray honey robber into their outside entrance to drive them inside to the cut out ceiling area?
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2021, 08:48:34 am »

Wow that makes it tough alright.

Also, once the ceiling was open the only heat signature gotten would be from the heat hitting the roof.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2021, 09:05:54 am »
Rast is that the one that has the reputation of stinking so bad? I have only used beequick personally. I watched a video of folks using a product that was described with a very foul smell. They sprayed a little into a hole in a hollow tree and the bees rolled out! I never seen that type reaction with beequick. I do not know if nurse bees stayed with the brood, or if they caught the queen. But, the rate the bees were boiling out amazed me. 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2021, 09:09:38 am »
Have you contacted an exterminator?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2021, 09:25:19 am »

They won?t touch honeybees here.  I subcontract for several who call me for everything honeybee related

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2021, 09:24:39 pm »
I'm pretty sure Bee Go was the really stinking one and they disguised the smell somewhat with Robber. Both stink. 
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2021, 09:43:53 pm »
BeeQuick works real well and smells good.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2021, 09:56:45 pm »
BeeQuick works real well and smells good.
Jim Altmiller

Beequick does work well. It is all I use, I have not yet been confronted with a cutout with the roadblocks 2Sox has reached so I recommend something that might work in complement with an extreme situation as his. I don't know if I can find that video but if I can I will post it.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 10:10:37 pm »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2021, 01:05:43 am »
The cluster on the limb would have been the perfect set-up for the retrieval of the entire bunch with a bee vac and pool pole system. Less a few stragglers; very few.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2021, 09:23:13 am »

They won?t touch honeybees here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=best+exterminator+in+nyc&cs=0&gsas=1&sabplaceid=ChIJOwg_06VPwokRYv534QaPC8g&sabpi=ChIIraDc-AEQnu_etwkY_8evoCUSLXhjYXQ6c2VydmljZV9hcmVhX2J1c2luZXNzX3Blc3RfY29udHJvbDplbi1VUxqEAS9hY2xrP3NhPUwmYWk9RENoY1NFd2lVc3Itcjd1N3dBaFhIbllZS0hYcVNEVGNZQUJBUEdnSjJkUSZsYWJlbD1nbHNfbWVzc2FnZV9jbGlja19mcmVlJnNpZz1BT0Q2NF8wR2NEb3JxV0lTN2tNVUJpUjMwam9UVTZnMXFRJmFkdXJsPSJ_L2FjbGs_c2E9TCZhaT1EQ2hjU0V3aVVzci1yN3U3d0FoWEhuWVlLSFhxU0RUY1lBQkFKR2dKMmRRJmxhYmVsPXByb2ZpbGVfdmlld19mcmVlJnNpZz1BT0Q2NF8xQTRsNGFSb0xwbHVQX1JOOVh4YW5zS29kTDR3JmFkdXJsPSp-L2FjbGs_c2E9TCZhaT1EQ2hjU0V3aVVzci1yN3U3d0FoWEhuWVlLSFhxU0RUY1lBQkFMR2dKMmRRJmxhYmVsPWNhbGxfYnV0dG9uX2ZyZWUmc2lnPUFPRDY0XzBUbHctcENqZkhrT2R0eGYwNjB6SndrYVRhM2cmYWR1cmw9MoEBL2FjbGs_c2E9TCZhaT1EQ2hjU0V3aVVzci1yN3U3d0FoWEhuWVlLSFhxU0RUY1lBQkFGR2dKMmRRJmxhYmVsPWdsc19jYWxsX2NsaWNrX2ZyZWUmc2lnPUFPRDY0XzBTM1RQYU9URmEtdEUxSmJBWEltbnExSmVaSncmYWR1cmw9OoEBL2FjbGs_c2E9TCZhaT1EQ2hjU0V3aVVzci1yN3U3d0FoWEhuWVlLSFhxU0RUY1lBQkFSR2dKMmRRJmxhYmVsPWdsc19ib29rX2NsaWNrX2ZyZWUmc2lnPUFPRDY0XzNqMkNqaDJEbnpLMWF5MV8xeFhSZXZzRXBJWXcmYWR1cmw9QhMIlLK_q-7u8AIVx52GCh16kg03SARQAw#sabs=521605165;;;;;;;;
They list bees.

Yes. ?Bees? are always listed on the sites of exterminators. It?s a generic term.  We all know that most people are unable to differentiate honeybees from yellow jackets. That?s why the term ?bees?. Exterminators will not touch honeybees in NY, NJ, CT. I don?t know about others states.  That?s why they call me with honeybee calls.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 09:42:10 am by 2Sox »

anything