Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Interesting tiny critters  (Read 1935 times)

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Interesting tiny critters
« on: July 17, 2020, 01:31:48 pm »
Here is a link to a short video.  Wondering if anyone here knows what these are or have a means to identify them. 
Tiny critters running around on the pull out drawer under the screened bottom board of a strong hive.  The debris is pollen dust, wax bits, and bee chunks.  I am assuming these are just a symbiotic cleanup crew of sorts.  My first thoughts are clover mites - spider mites.  But perhaps is something else more interesting.  I am not worried about them, just curious.

Whatcha think deez argh?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17tAfNB6XD9NKllxBIAl5OLT3H8g_PPN7/view?usp=sharing

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Interesting tiny critters
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 02:25:18 pm »
HP I am assuming by your description,  these are only in the bottom area.  I for one have no clue. What is just as interesting is I would have thought you have seen it all by now. Which really makes this a mystery. I really want to know what these critters are also! lol
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 03:24:13 pm »
      :rolleyes:

I am pretty sure they are a variant of the common Clover Mite. 
Casting and fishing to see if anyone has any other ideas or thoughts on it, or specific positive identification, please let us know.

Wouldn't it be great and wonderful if they were actually this? !!
https://tryptomera-roofmijt.nl/raubmilben-und-varroamilben-in-bienenstocke/

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 04:37:05 pm »
Yes I agree I hope this is what you see. 😁 Mr Hp, this sounds like GREAT news. I have up until now heard of a predatory mite which battles Varroa Destructor, this looks promising to say the least! I appreciate you posting this! Thank you!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 07:51:30 pm »
Wondering if anyone here knows what these are or have a means to identify them. 

Hi HP.  Interesting lil critters.  To answer your question regarding identification here are some basics I was taught in zoology.

1.  Number of legs: 6 equals insect whereas 8 equals arachnid.  Now we have a phylum.
2.  Head throax and abdomen:  each 3 sections distinct like a bee, joined together like a spider with huge abdomen whereas throax and head seem joined together.  Now you determine sub phyla and perhaps genus.
3.  Segment body like earthworm or smooth body as round worm: aschlementes Sp? or nematodes.
4.  Distinct eyes, antennae, mandibles, etc...

Don?t think I helped much, but this is a start for basic identification.
Cheers

Oh almost forgot!!!  HP: I adore the pic of the moose in the canola field.

Van

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.