BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Standard length for bottom board?

<< < (2/8) > >>

CapnChkn:
I make mine all 21 inches.  I have some that are just as big as the box, and I find I have to modify them.

Michael Bush:
Mine are all 19 7/8".

CapnChkn:
But all your hives have a top entrance, don't they Michael?

I'm trying to make robber screens that will fit every bottom board.  And yes, I understand the mechanics of the things.  I lost every hive I had in the backyard last year to robbers.  We had a drought, unusual in Alabama, for 3 months, and I'm now surrounded by suburbs.  I've had more problems here with SHB, DWV, and probably some alphabet soup I didn't recognize, than I have ever seen before.  In contrast, I had a swarm with a very good, and well bred queen, move into an empty nuc box.

I came up with the idea of making screens like shoes.  Different sizes.

Michael Bush:
>But all your hives have a top entrance, don't they Michael?

They do but I would make them that size no matter what.  I don't like to help the mice get in.

Eric Bosworth:

--- Quote from: Michael Bush on August 07, 2017, 04:36:41 pm ---They do but I would make them that size no matter what.  I don't like to help the mice get in.

--- End quote ---

Top entrances help with that. I also use top entrances I don't see any reason to have bottom entrances. Just use a bottom board the same size as the brood box and if you want a bottom entrance make one but that is an invitation for mice, when the hive is covered in snow, it covers the entrance so that they can't go make bathroom flights on a warm winter day and it allows moisture in during a snow melt. Give me top entrances any day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version