MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

IF ALIENS CAME TO EARTH

(1/5) > >>

beemaster:
I just watched (probably for the third time) Independence Day and saw the GREAT GOLIATH SHIPS in the movie - the plot was clear, destroy Earthlings, and (we must assume) take over the planet for their own use.

Now, we can assume two more things from that: one they want to add our planet to their collection of conquered planets or they are a race of SHIP-BOUND creatures in search of a place to terraform or habitat.

Mostly (in movies) we see aliens as evil minded critters, bend on the destruction or enslavement of Humans. Could beings capable of superior vessel building, warp or worm-hole travel, etc., have NO OTHER REASON to come here but to either 1) take us over 2) study us to see what makes us tick or to see how well we would accept them or 3) just play games with us by appearing to drunken bass fishermen at 3am on some swamp in the everglades?

I have a bit more faith in the probable causes of Alien visitations. I could go on for hours describing the subtleties of different life forms, but one stands out more than any other - that is the aliens LIFE SPAN.

Let's say for just a second, we 1) knew of a planet capable of self destruction and ruled by volatile creatures (that describe Earthlings fairly accurate) and 2) we had the capability to STEALTHLY monitor the distant planet for a determined period of time - possibly based on our ability to a: get to the planet b: wait for galactic alignments for the shortest return trip and c: return home YOUNG ENOUGH to still have a quality of life.

I say the last statement because we talk about the trip to Mars and how it is roughly 9 months to get there and 9 months to return - but what FEW PEOPLE understand is that there is a TEN MONTH waiting period for the planetary alignments to allow for the shortest return flight. So, a trip to mars is 2 year 4 month minimum trip - which is a long time to feed and supply humans with oxygen and other basics. Imagine a GALACTIC trip - where you would need hundreds and even thousands of years to complete the simplest of trips with given technology IF we had an actual planet with INTELLEGENT LIFE on it to study.

Ufologists claim there are THREE main craft that fly our skys. The black huge triangles, flown by the tall whites, the round or ovals flown by the short grays and the cigar shaped vessels who is also given credit to the grays or possibly small whites.

I wonder, what is the life span of these beings? Are they here for their entire lives to study us, knowing there is no way home in their life time. Have the mastered cryogenic stasis and can they travel THOUSANDS OF YEARS, thaw, study us a few decades, refreeze and return home to a society SO DIFFERENT from when they left that they don't even recognise their own world?

Personally, I think worm-holes (or some super galactic or Universal super highway system DOES exist) we just haven't created the MACHINE to open up a local ON-RAMP. Maybe THAT technology is transmitted to us when we are technologically advanced enough to build it - as in the movie CONTACT - who knows.

BUT WHAT I'D LIKE TO KNOW..... Do you think that ALIEN LIFE has a better chance of being good or evil? Is there a natural force in the Universe which causes EQUAL amounts of species, races who want to seek out and destroy and species which has interest in connecting up with other FRIENDLY species to fulfill some sort of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND happy ending.

I enjoyed MOST of the Star Trek Series - but found Deep Space Nine to be too dark and heavy - the galaxy had a dozen wars going on at any one time. I'd rather hope it is more of a VOYAGER (I believe the best of the Star Trek Series) type existence where vessels seek peace, but are prepared for war - with the hope of meeting new species and learning, sharing and separating on mutually acceptable terms.

So... what do you think?

Jerrymac:
Of course most people limit the capabilities of aliens to our own capabilities. Perhaps time and space is different for them. Perhaps they have a way to be anywhere at the exact moment they left their home. They can come here from a galaxy far far away, do their experiments on us and be home for supper.

Perhaps they are such an advanced intelegence that to them we are just mear worms. A spicies they are checking out like some lab rat.

I would have to wonder what would be the purpose of them coming here. Like us perhaps they are curious creatures and like to explore. Perhaps they are from a dying planet or their sun is about to go nova and they need another place to live. Perhaps, as on that movie, their ships are the size of cities and the mother ship is half the size of earth and they live thier whole lives on their space ship. This would mean they need to replenish their supplies every now and then. When it comes to survival other species don't really matter. They wouldn't be looking to preserve this world, or anyother, and would take what they need or just stripe it of all rewsources and move on to the next.

Either way it would come down to they would populate this world if they can survive here, or they would take what they need and move on, or they will leave us alone if there is nothing of value to them here.

Was the question about "Do I believe there are aliens?"  OR was it "that they would be good or evil?" Depends on ones definition of evil. Is the lion evil because it kills another animal to survive? Would the lion be evil if it killed a human?

nepenthes:
I did a report in Science class about Like Space goo making new organisims by them just apearing with meteor's or like being shot  from distant planets, or the planets being blown up, with organic matter that comes back to life when it hits our planet

wayne:
  Just because some one can fly an airplane or operate a computer does not mean they built it or know how it works on a mechanical level.
  At least one UFO researcher believes that at least one of the "Alien species" described by many is an artificial life form or a living probe so to speak. A creature grown, educated, and brought to a level of maturity aboard the ship in flight, and possible dumped after its life is over. Like one of out scientests sending a DNA sample to Mars where it is grown into a clone that conducts the study and files its papers under the original's name.
  We go to great lengths to study the few primitive cultures still on Earth, without contiminating them with modern technology. Perhaps we are the primitives to be studied by someone else' grad students and egg heads.

wayne

beemaster:
Wayne:

I can't help but think that Drone and self propelled craft are also in the works. I don't doubt that superior speed-enabling technology is in play to get anyone whether live or robotic or symbotic here is as little as a few dozen life times of a species or in theroy that we just can't comprehend, in a matter of seconds.

I saw an interesting show on USOs the other night on Discovery - the Unidentified submercible objects really intrege me, since they may have the abilty to go to the deepest parts of our oceans and hide where no sonar would ever pick them up, and that's thinking they are not stealth, which I tend to think is that the majority are stealth.

I hope you get to see that show, I'll try to get info on it, I use XP media edition to record all my TV interests, I rarely watch stuff on "THEIR TERMS" choosing to sit down when I feel like it and stop and start as often as I wish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version