BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Plastic frames VS Wood frames

<< < (6/6)

TheHoneyPump:
Current to date posted:
I like one piece plastic (Acorn) in the brood nest.  However, I have no SHB here to be concerned about.
2nd runner up is wood frame with plastic sheet foundation. What I hate about these is the amount of burr comb nubbings made between the wood top bars.  It is ridiculous and an extreme hazard to rolling and mushing queens.
If I had to go back to wood-wire-wax foundation type I would quite, retire. I?d rather jab a red hot steel nail onto my eyeball. Good for bees but far too many handling and processing issues in the beekeepers wheelhouse.
For a long lang setup, where the top bars are tight together, personally I would most likely go wood bars/frame and the plastic sheet foundation.

BeeMaster2:

--- Quote from: rast on October 18, 2021, 09:43:24 pm ---Wood and starter strips, I have a handful of plastic frames and a couple of supers of plastic foundation, I interspersed them in between the starter strips. Right now all drawn.

--- End quote ---
Rast,
Don?t mix plastic and foundation in the same super. The bees usually just draw the foundation less and not the plastic. If you put all plastic, they will draw it.
Once they are drawn, then you can mix frames any which way.
Jim Altmiller

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version