BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Plastic frames VS Wood frames

(1/6) > >>

twd72:
I am looking for advice and opinions.

I am going to be just a hobby Beek(less the 10 total hives over the next few years) and starting out this year.  After reading and pondering over product catalogs what seems like the best investment: Plastic foundation frames or Wood foundation frames.  My first hive most likely will be a long lang style constructed by myself.  I like the top bar idea but don't want to be limited to non-lang style equipment. Top bars seem to be inexpensive to start due to the lack of foundation frames. So if i build a long lang style hive with foundation frames what are your thoughts about the pros and cons of plastic vs wood.

Moots:
I started as a Beek last January and went with wax foundation in wood frames and wired them.  This year, out of curiosity and not a huge love for wiring frames, I have purchased some pierco plastic foundation to give it a try....I'm going with wood frames there also.

I get the impression from those I've spoken with that currently use plastic foundation that wood seems to be the much more popular choice.  One of the main complaints I've heard about plastic frames is too many nooks and crannies for SHB to hide in....that may not be an issue for your location.

One of the other complaints I hear is people don't like the way they flex and bend.

The other piece of advice I would offer concerning plastic foundation is that you'll get better results if you add more beeswax to the frames....I've been told even if you order them pre-waxed, they just don't have enough.

Good Luck!

Jim134:
 :goodpost: :th_thumbsupup:

personally I will stay with wood wax and wire

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

jayj200:

--- Quote from: twd72 on February 20, 2014, 01:22:48 am ---I am looking for advice and opinions.

I am going to be just a hobby Beek(less the 10 total hives over the next few years) and starting out this year.  After reading and pondering over product catalogs what seems like the best investment: Plastic foundation frames or Wood foundation frames.  My first hive most likely will be a long lang style constructed by myself.  I like the top bar idea but don't want to be limited to non-lang style equipment. Top bars seem to be inexpensive to start due to the lack of foundation frames. So if i build a long lang style hive with foundation frames what are your thoughts about the pros and cons of plastic vs wood.

--- End quote ---

Then I would use wood the ears on plastic ages faster than wood, and then breaks off.

foundationless also works for me. when there is a problem like insecticides cut it out and destroy it.

or you could soak it in a swimming pool or a big barrel of water

jay

Vance G:
If you buy any number at all, you can buy the plastic frames cheaper than you can put a frame together and with no labor time involved.  Personally, the only broken frames I have ever had to deal with were stepped on by a marauding cow that knocked over a dead out and walked all over the splash.  I like the small cells of Mann Lakes product too. 

My next choice would be wooden frames and a good price can be had at Western Bee.  Their budget frames are very usable.  Maybe 2 0r 3 components out of a hundred frames have to be rejected.  The wax coated plastic foundation is very hard to beat also. 

Enjoy your long hive.  If I could set up a hive in my yard I would like to try that format.  However you keep bees you can have a great experience. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version