BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Clever or "Fluff and over-hyped-crap"? : The Double Screen Board

<< < (2/9) > >>

Stone:
I'm entering my third year of beekeeping and have not yet done a split (the last two years being awful!) but when I first read about the double screen, I immediately thought it would be very easy to use for both swarm control or for splits.  Again, I have no practical experience with either. My guess is the easiest way to do a split is the "walk away". What do you think?

And what do you think would be an easier technique(s) for swarm control?

Jim 134:

--- Quote from: BjornBee on December 05, 2010, 06:37:16 pm ---I bet 99% of beekeepers could not even describe the full process including timing, of the proper use of the double screen. Maybe that should tell you something.  :roll:

This is another piece of equipment that has very specific uses and for most, is a dust collector and garage filler.

I rank it up there with the queen muff, marking pen, and marking tube.   :lau:

--- End quote ---

BjornBee...
Have you read the book by L.E. Snelgrove  :?

http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=462

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

BjornBee:

--- Quote from: Jim 134 on December 05, 2010, 08:25:10 pm ---
--- Quote from: BjornBee on December 05, 2010, 06:37:16 pm ---I bet 99% of beekeepers could not even describe the full process including timing, of the proper use of the double screen. Maybe that should tell you something.  :roll:

This is another piece of equipment that has very specific uses and for most, is a dust collector and garage filler.

I rank it up there with the queen muff, marking pen, and marking tube.   :lau:

--- End quote ---

BjornBee...
Have you read the book by L.E. Snelgrove  :?

http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=462

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

--- End quote ---

There is a book? I thought I read long enough on the snellgrove swarm procedure already. I'm sure there is enough information in other books and sites. I know I found it fully detailed in the first bee book I picked up. Not really sure at this point of buying another book.

So what part are you referencing, questioning, or going tell me to read?

If you want to detail out the entire use of the double screen board and the whole procedure step by step, I'll leave that to you.  ;)

Perhaps if wrote it all out, that would help others determine if they want to buy some and try it out. I have already. And I simply find it labor intensive and difficult to other swarm prevention techniques.

fish_stix:
I'll agree with Bjornbee. Many of the items for sale in those catalogs are there to snag swarms of beekeepers. In that respect, the bee suppliers seem to have learned well from fishing lure manufacturers. Make a new lure each year, paint it in a rainbow of unnatural colors and fishermen will go into a feeding frenzy over them. Doesn't hurt the fish populations at all.

deknow:
i've never owned (or used) one. 

we use mostly top entrances, and i've sometimes moved the entrance of a strong colony to the back of the hive, and put a weak nuc with a bottom entrance ontop to "catch the foragers".  i usually think of a snellgrove board when i'm doing this, as the easy swapping of entrances would do a similar thing (and more elegantly).  this is at least one purpose (and robo mentions another...requeening) besides the snellgrove technique where it would be useful.

i figure one of these years i'll win one in a club raffle, and play with one then.  certainly not necessary for our purposes.

deknow

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version