Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Your Goto Method Of Detouring Wax Moths From Stored Comb?  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
In your experience of storing comb, what are your findings through the years? What method or methods have you resolved to using to protect and prevent wax moth damage to your stored comb? ALL input will be greatly appreciated.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
Re: Your Goto Method Of Detouring Wax Moths From Stored Comb?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 09:51:45 am »
Keeping bees in a warmer climate I would put the frames in a freezer for 24 hrs and store them in the supers with para moth crystals,
Here in Wisconsin, I leave them on the hives till October and then stack them outside in their boxes with a  board on the bottom and lids on top of each stack.It's like putting them in a freezer for 5 months with the winters here.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 10:27:39 am »
Keeping bees in a warmer climate I would put the frames in a freezer for 24 hrs and store them in the supers with para moth crystals,
I do the same with drawn blanks, but if the comb has any little bit of pollen or honey I put the frames in plastic bins instead to prevent drawing mice or other critters. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 11:26:59 am »
I keep the frames in extra boxes, stack them in the corner of the shop on small moving dollies and treat with paramoth crystals about every three months. I don't freeze them before storage, just stack them and toss in some paramoth crystals. I was spending a lot of time digging through my equipment so I've started labeling the boxes as to what's in them like drawn comb, comb that needs replacing, foundation or naked frames. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 03:46:32 pm »
I spray them with BT to keep cabbage loopers away from them, since it hasn't been approved for wax moths. It does work for wax moths, too, you just can't say it is for that purpose. :wink: :cool:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 03:58:03 pm »
I spray them with BT to keep cabbage loopers away from them, since it hasn't been approved for wax moths. It does work for wax moths, too, you just can't say it is for that purpose. :wink: :cool:

I will remember this in case the needs arises in preventing cabbage looper problems,  :shocked: as well as the bonus protection of wax moths!
 :wink: :cool:

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 05:30:38 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 07:11:25 pm »
I put a 1 inch tin container on top of 11 medium box?s of drawn wax and put moth crystals in them. I put a spacer and a lid on the stack. This has worked pretty well. Just make sure you air them out a week or more before you use them. I usually put the boxes in a half circle with a oscillating fan to make sure they air out and it keeps the moths out.
Jim Altmiller 
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 07:45:14 pm »
I have a chest freezer that any comb goes in that is suspect. Other than that it all goes on para-moth. lid, Box with comb,piece of cardboard,(old beer carton cut up, 2 teaspoons of paramoth on that, another box etc. till i cant stack anymore. Start all over again  I used to tape all the joints but no longer do that.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 07:56:55 pm »
What are para-moth crystal made from? Active ingredient?

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 08:43:14 pm »
para-dichlorobenzene or PBD

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 11:08:27 pm »
para-dichlorobenzene or PBD

Brian MCquilkin and The15thMember
I picked up a small chest freezer today just for this purpose.

Bill Murray & Beemaster2
I just checked out a link to a major retail store, one found in every town it seems these days.  :happy:
They sell moth ice crystals which claims to kill clothes moths. Active ingredients 
p-dichlorobenzene 99.9%.  I am assuming this is the same product as para-dichlorobenzene or PBD?

Beeboy01
I like the idea of placing the supers on moving dollies! Good idea that I will use. Thanks..

Last but CERTAINLY not least
Iddee
I plan to order some BT just in case the cabbage loopers invade as well.  :wink: :cool:
Kidding aside thanks Iddee you know your stuff. Will one treatment be enough until the next season, meaning how long will the treatment last?.... 

All these suggestions sound good and I am sure will do the trick!
Thanks All.... 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 11:30:00 pm »
The treatment will last until you replace the wax. IE: several years.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 11:45:25 pm »
Bill Murray & Beemaster2
I just checked out a link to a major retail store, one found in every town it seems these days.  :happy:
They sell moth ice crystals which claims to kill clothes moths. Active ingredients 
p-dichlorobenzene 99.9%.  I am assuming this is the same product as para-dichlorobenzene or PBD?
Yep, that's what I use, except mine are balls.  You do NOT want naphthalene!  Balls, crystals, what-have-you, all are fine if the active ingredient is PBD. 

Last but CERTAINLY not least
Iddee
I plan to order some BT just in case the cabbage loopers invade as well.  :wink: :cool:
:cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 09:15:26 am »
 I use Xentari brand of BT, be aware that it does have a shelf life of 3 years due to it being a living organism for want of a better description. I received a new bag last week and called the manufacture with the lot code, it was only a year old so is good for 2 more years. Some resellers don't realize there is a shelf life and (as they should) want to move old stock.   
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 06:28:52 pm »
Member,
Bee careful. As far as I know, only the ones in crystal form are safe. Even they are not safe if you don?t air them out properly. I had an observation hive Slowly die over 3 days after rebuilding it. The only thing that I have figured out that killed them was that the frames were still contaminated with moth crystals.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2021, 06:37:20 pm »
Kidding aside thanks Iddee you know your stuff. Will one treatment be enough until the next season, meaning how long will the treatment last?....

The treatment will last until you replace the wax. IE: several years.

Thanks iddee

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2021, 07:51:32 pm »
Member,
Bee careful. As far as I know, only the ones in crystal form are safe. Even they are not safe if you don?t air them out properly. I had an observation hive Slowly die over 3 days after rebuilding it. The only thing that I have figured out that killed them was that the frames were still contaminated with moth crystals.
Jim Altmiller
Thanks Jim, I'll keep that in mind.  I've never had any issues, and I do air them out before using.   

Offline LawyerRick

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 11:04:05 pm »
100% BT Certan.  Expensive but no toxicity to people or bees & no odor.  Why use stinky & carcinogenic para when nice little bacteria do a better job.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2021, 11:50:52 pm »
100% BT Certan.  Expensive but no toxicity to people or bees & no odor.  Why use stinky & carcinogenic para when nice little bacteria do a better job.

Thank you Lawyer Rick...

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2021, 09:34:40 am »
So just so I have this if I pull brood comb I can just spray it and store it with the  Xentari  BT and it will kill the young larva? How long does this work for before needing to be reapplied?
Thank you in advance.