Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What does anyone know about....  (Read 3553 times)

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
What does anyone know about....
« on: July 07, 2021, 06:17:59 pm »

I?ve noticed it blooming heavily the last few weeks. It smells very sweet. Do honeybees like it for a summer snack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Re: What does anyone know about....
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 06:19:52 pm »
Not sure if my app pulled up the right plant. This is blooming late June/early July.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 06:25:15 pm »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 08:50:55 pm »
Looks like ligustrum. Bees love it.
I was at a Starbucks with my family and a pest company was spraying poison on this plant. I got out of the car because they were full of bees. He explained that he was called in the get rid of the bees so he was spraying poison to kill them. I explained that he was probably killing every hive within 2 miles of the place an 5at we needed bees to pollinate.  His answer was he was following orders.  I laid into him and the manager pretty good but it didn?t do any good. Customers were complaining.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 09:47:29 pm »
I might have to find some to put out around the house.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 09:02:33 am »
Are you sure it is a viburnum? The bush in the photo looks like Abelia Grandiflora, which is a very common shrub around houses and businesses.

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 03:56:54 pm »
I was at a Starbucks with my family and a pest company was spraying poison on this plant. I got out of the car because they were full of bees. He explained that he was called in the get rid of the bees so he was spraying poison to kill them. I explained that he was probably killing every hive within 2 miles of the place an 5at we needed bees to pollinate.  His answer was he was following orders.  I laid into him and the manager pretty good but it didn?t do any good. Customers were complaining.
Jim Altmiller

Nature has no place in the world of commerce.  Too many HOA subdivision ninnies terrified of anything they didn't buy at walmart or bed bath and beyond.
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 04:16:08 pm »
Jim Altmiller
Oh, that makes me sick.  :oops:   :cry:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 04:38:42 pm »
Unfortunately it is legal for a pest control company to eradicate a honey bee swarm or established colony the company must be licensed in either General Household Pest (GHP), which covers indoor and outdoor removal, or Lawn & Ornamental (L&O), which covers eradication of bees only if they are located outside a structure, as in a tree. I got that information from the link below.
However, I did not find anything which says it is legal to kill bees flying around randomly gathering pollen or nectar. I highly suspect this type practice may be illegal. I am not an expert in this field. Perhaps Lawyer Rick or one of the other attorney members here, can enlighten us?

https://www.fdacs.gov/Consumer-Resources/Consumer-Rights-and-Responsibilities/Pest-Control/Bee-Removal-or-Eradication-in-Florida
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
What does anyone know about....
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 04:40:18 pm »
I wouldn?t think it would be any different than a farmer spraying his crops, as far as legality of killing bugs and insects.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 04:51:08 pm »
I wouldn?t think it would be any different than a farmer spraying his crops, as far as legality of killing bugs and insects.

I do not know. It may be legal for farmers to kill honey bees.  I will look it up.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 05:45:57 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 04:56:00 pm »
Googleing:
Is it legal for farmers to kill honey bees in florida? Again the answer referred to swarms and colonies.

Answer:

"Is it legal to kill bees? Yes, only if the swarms/colonies are wild (not in managed boxes) and are on your property. The Florida Department of Agriculture (FDACS) recommends that wild colonies be exterminated by bee removal companies licensed in pest control to help prevent the spread of the Africanized honeybee."

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Bee Removal In ...
https://alpinefarms-bees.com ? faqs
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 05:47:54 pm by Ben Framed »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 05:10:59 pm »
Adding; I also found an article stating a farmer in Florida used an (illegal pesticide) killing millions of bees. I am only speculating because I do not know the exact facts, but it could be that (legal pesticides) used by farmers may not be as much a hazard to bees as the stuff pest control companies use to eradicate bees?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2021, 03:31:20 pm »
.30WCF I found another article this morning that may be of interest to the other three posters beside you and I, who commented on killing of bees. I took a couple paragraphs and am now posting here. I noticed J.D. Ellis Is the first name on the roster. I have read some good stuff by him, including his research on SHB. 

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu ? ...
MINIMIZING HONEY BEE EXPOSURE TO PESTICIDES 1
J. D. Ellis, J. Klopchin, E. Buss, L. Diepenbrock, F. M. Fishel, W. H. Kern, C. Mannion, E. McAvoy, L. S. Osborne, M. Rogers, M. Sanford, H. Smith, B. S. Stanford, P. Stansly, L. Stelinski, S. Webb, and A. Vu 2

POLLINATORS AND PESTICIDES
Given the evidence of lethal and sublethal effects of several pesticide groups and compounds on insect pollinators, protecting honey bees and other pollinators from pesticide impacts is important to the sustainability of agriculture. Consequently, pesticide applicators must determine if there is a clear hazard to managed or wild populations of bees prior to applying a pesticide. Potential exposure of bees to pesticides can vary greatly depending on the type of pesticide, formulation, application method, label restrictions, and other factors. The goal in using a pesticide is to achieve maximum benefit (success) with minimum negative impact, and these factors should always be considered during pesticide use.

This publication is written (1) to help assure the sustainability of both bees and agriculture by informing beekeepers, pesticide users, and the general public about the often complex relationship between pollinators (specifically honey bees) and pesticides; (2) to offer guidance for improved communication between beekeepers and pesticide applicators; (3) to offer strategies for growers and other applicators to reduce risks when using pesticides; and (4) to provide clarity in laws, labeling, and associated definitions.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 04:09:26 pm »
Not sure if my app pulled up the right plant. This is blooming late June/early July.

Are you sure it is a viburnum? The bush in the photo looks like Abelia Grandiflora, which is a very common shrub around houses and businesses.

I looked on my State Chart which shows (most) good nectar and pollen producing plants, seeking to find when either plant mentioned blooms in my State. I might have overlooked it, but I can't find either one as a major?  If either is a good source, they need to be added to the list. lol

The link is posted below.

https://blogs.extension.msstate.edu ? files ? 2014/06PDF

ADDING:
I did find (Ligustrum) the plant that Jim mentioned. It had a star after the name, indicating that a surplus of honey may be produced if environmental conditions are right. This plant blooms the first two weeks of May in my area.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 05:11:56 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline LawyerRick

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2021, 07:17:33 pm »
Unfortunately it is legal for a pest control company to eradicate a honey bee swarm or established colony the company must be licensed in either General Household Pest (GHP), which covers indoor and outdoor removal, or Lawn & Ornamental (L&O), which covers eradication of bees only if they are located outside a structure, as in a tree. I got that information from the link below.
However, I did not find anything which says it is legal to kill bees flying around randomly gathering pollen or nectar. I highly suspect this type practice may be illegal. I am not an expert in this field. Perhaps Lawyer Rick or one of the other attorney members here, can enlighten us?

https://www.fdacs.gov/Consumer-Resources/Consumer-Rights-and-Responsibilities/Pest-Control/Bee-Removal-or-Eradication-in-Florida
Spraying insecticides randomly outdoors could be considered a nuisance, leaving the door open to a lawsuit for damages ($$).  Such actions could also run afoul of the criminal code & could be an assault & battery.  Anyone spraying a chemical that contacts your body is guilty of assault & battery, usually a misdemeanor. I would encourage anyone who gets sprayed to file a criminal complaint with the local PD & prosecute the person.  Ignorance is simple stupidity.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2021, 12:29:48 am »

Spraying insecticides randomly outdoors could be considered a nuisance, leaving the door open to a lawsuit for damages ($$).  Such actions could also run afoul of the criminal code & could be an assault & battery.  Anyone spraying a chemical that contacts your body is guilty of assault & battery, usually a misdemeanor. I would encourage anyone who gets sprayed to file a criminal complaint with the local PD & prosecute the person.  Ignorance is simple stupidity.

Thank you Rick.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 10:36:18 pm »
Me....sue the pesticide company?
First, I must expect the local criminal investigator will not take my pesticide-poisoning case. So I go civil, and ante up $5000 retainer for my legal representation stating I was injured by pesticides.  Second, I get ready for Sec 57.105 motions with the poison company's motion to dismiss my case, and not sleeping from worry that I might get hit with opposing counsel's corporate mega attorney fees of $??,???.00 to $???,???.00.

Third, I wait for months maybe years while the pesticide company asks for discovery and examination of every last medical record ever made during my lifetime, and my lawyer objects all the while, at $1000 per objection or more. Then, their paid medical expert states I have a pre-existing condition. Then, [sadly] get ready to maybe be schooled by the local judge because the corporation's local appearance counsel is the judge's former law partner, or a similar reason.
Going to trial without a settlement is a >$100K gamble on winning.  Then there's the appeal, because the non-prevailing party will, for sure, appeal.

Lawsuits are have their limitations.  The first California glyphosate case was won because the janitor who spilled Roundup on himself was 80% covered in lesions and he was DYING of cancer, and still had to settle for a fraction of what the jury offered.  Sooooo....hmm.

One thing Fla. residents can do is get on a list for $50 per year, and any pesticide company must notify the person in advance that a spray is on its way. 

Another thing that can be done is to buy and live on acreage instead of city or suburban homes. Just hope the crop dusters stay on flight path.

And...buy organic.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 10:38:39 pm »
>He explained that he was called in the get rid of the bees so he was spraying poison to kill them.

The label is the law, and every pesticide I have ever seen says on the label that it is illegal to spray it on flowers being worked by bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2021, 11:39:15 pm »
Yes, it is the law that bees should not be sprayed.  My point is: it's very difficult to enforce the law.   

Other than the perils of litigation, the difficulty of enforcing the law is shown by how often homeowners in my county use Raid on a colony of bees...and then phone me to ask about paid removal when the colony didn't die. 

Laws work when people obey them.  It has to start with a desire to do the right thing.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 06:04:32 pm »
Michael,
I will keep that in mind the next time I see this happen.
First I will video tape him. Then confront him about following the directions on the label. My bet is he will stop immediately.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2021, 12:44:08 pm »
> My point is: it's very difficult to enforce the law.   

On that I totally agree.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin