Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Hive, Started From Swarm, May Have Laying Workers  (Read 1371 times)

Alklar20

New Hive, Started From Swarm, May Have Laying Workers
« on: July 04, 2021, 10:36:54 am »
I have a hive that was started from a swarm that was caught and hived on June 21, 2021; at least that's when I believe it was caught. Yesterday, which was July 3, 2021, I inspected the hive; thus about 1 week and 5 days had elapsed from the time the swarm was hived to the first inspection. I found plenty of eggs. I thought, "Oh, good! We have a new queen," until I saw I saw a few eggs that looked like they were laid on the sides of their cells. This makes me think the new hive may have laying workers. However, I saw didn't see any cells with multiple eggs laid in them; only single eggs. Is it normal for the queen to lay an egg on the side of a cell every once in a while?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: New Hive, Started From Swarm, May Have Laying Workers
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 11:04:39 am »
I have a hive that was started from a swarm that was caught and hived on June 21, 2021; at least that's when I believe it was caught. Yesterday, which was July 3, 2021, I inspected the hive; thus about 1 week and 5 days had elapsed from the time the swarm was hived to the first inspection. I found plenty of eggs. I thought, "Oh, good! We have a new queen," until I saw I saw a few eggs that looked like they were laid on the sides of their cells. This makes me think the new hive may have laying workers. However, I saw didn't see any cells with multiple eggs laid in them; only single eggs. Is it normal for the queen to lay an egg on the side of a cell every once in a while?

Alklar a quick question, did you also find eggs in the bottom of some other cells?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 11:29:27 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
New Hive, Started From Swarm, May Have Laying Workers
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 12:45:22 pm »
Not usually, but sometimes yes. Especially with a newly developing queen whose abdomen has not fully extended yet.  As long as only seeing a single egg, things should be fine.
Also, know that as the egg matures and nears hatching it extends in length and will lean over. When it is just about fully over, it will look off centre and may give appearance that it was laid that way. To confirm just look for new freshly laid eggs that would be standing straight up. Those should be centred, except the odd ones here-dere.

Hope that helps!
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 01:03:27 pm »
Alklar a quick question, did you also find eggs in the bottom of some other cells?

"yes"

In that case you are probably ok. HoneyPumps advice is in the bullseye of the target.  :grin:

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 06:01:54 am »
Patience with bees sometimes solves a lot of problems us humans think are happening.
Also having a few hives can increase our longing to know what is happening.

Online .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 02:17:49 am »
I?d say you?re fine. Two weeks isn?t enough for laying workers to develop.

anything