Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fast on the comb!  (Read 2179 times)

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
Fast on the comb!
« on: June 30, 2021, 10:24:05 pm »
I remember hearing that phrase, and reading something about Carniolans not being as 'fast on the comb.'   I've googled it and used the search box here, and still can't find that info.

Cause I have a hive that is both fizzy and "fast on the comb."  What determines bee-to-comb speed?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Fast on the comb!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 09:11:48 am »
I remember hearing that phrase, and reading something about Carniolans not being as 'fast on the comb.'   I've googled it and used the search box here, and still can't find that info.

Cause I have a hive that is both fizzy and "fast on the comb."  What determines bee-to-comb speed?

I assume the phrase you are using (fast on the comb) means quick to draw out comb?  In that case it would be determined by a combination of things. Bee population along with the need for comb, especially during a flow. The need for comb by a colony is the key.

Also I have noticed swarms I have caught, when placed in their new home, will begin drawing out comb almost immediately when placed with frames of starter strips. I do not know if a particular strain of bee would be any different if each were under the same need of comb in a particular setting and situation?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 11:31:44 am »
No, the question is not about drawing comb, that's something different.

This is about bees that are "hyperactive" and move more quickly.  "Too much coffee" bees.  It seems as it they're racing around on the comb.   

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Fast on the comb!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 11:46:41 am »
Thanks for clarifying.  The terms for that behaviour which I/we are used to is:   
runny or drippy
It is an undesirable genetic trait that we cull out (kill queen and try again). That said, if the hive is over-smoked during inspections the bees are going to be runny no matter their heritage. High weather temperatures can make them especially drippy.  Also rough handling (bumping/jarring) of frames by the beekeeper can also agitate them an make more runny than usual.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 12:19:57 pm »
Great, thanks.

We have super high temps.  I didn't use a lot of smoke.

New neighbor with dog doesn't clean up dog's mess, and superfast biting flies have multiplied.  You think bees are fast? these tiny biters are turbocharged!   I put fly paper under the 24" high hive stand where bees don't fly, and it fills up fast. I know the bees hate it when the flies try to get in the open top.  I'm using cotton towels to mask off what I'm not working.   

I'm careful with frames,  slow enough for smart bees to get out of the way.  This was a huge swarm that got settled a month ago.  They already have 4 bars of capped honey.  We're not exactly in a dearth, there's still a lot of to-and-fro bees.  They are not used to being inspected.   They 9 frames built out on top box, 6 frames built on center box, 5 frames on bottom box.  I wanted to take some capped brood but gave up when I heard the "stinging roar" start up.

Yep after reading about the term "runny bees" I want to requeen. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 09:18:02 pm »
My guess is they are referring to "runny" bees.  Which are bees that are not calm on the comb and they run and bunch up and "drip" off of the combs...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 06:08:34 pm »
Yep after reading about the term "runny bees" I want to requeen.

Runny bees dont bother me, just like bees that produce a lot of propolis they still fill supers great.  They usually have a lower mite count too which could just be coincidence because I'm not a commercial beekeeper and dont have hundreds of hives to compare. I currently have two or three that are runny, my queens are marked and I noticed that the queens stay on the frames even if workers are dripping off.  You just have to learn how to work with them.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 02:53:24 am »
>Runny bees dont bother me

It's not a high priority to me to have bees that are not runny, but they can be a pain.  Dripping bees on the ground that run up my pant legs... and it makes it hard to find a queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 12:24:27 pm »
I got into a hive yesterday had super runny bees. Made it difficult to be gentle they'd scamper right under my fingers.

It was also a dangerously weak colony. Are there any honey bee diseases that have being runny (runniness?) as a symptom?

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 01:04:37 pm »
Not that I know of but a weak hive is often under stress which could cause runniness.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 03:11:36 pm »
I try to breed for bees that are calm on the comb, and not flighty also.  These traits of calm and not flighty are a few of the traits I look for when deciding on a queen to breed from. I use the word CALM as opposed to the opposite of runnyness.  Though opposite, both words describe a condition.  I hear the words CALM and NOT FLIGHTY commonly used by old timers. I have also heard the word NERVOUS on the comb to describe same condition as runny bees.

So much for words.  My point: I dont like getting stung, I dont wear a body suite so I prefer calm bees.  Calm, relaxed, gentle bees equates to a happier Van as I can enjoy my bees more.  I am a hobbyist so keep that in mind.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 08:16:14 pm »
Right, Van, I think the phrase "fast on the comb" is local Southerner-speak.

I went into that hive today and they were berserk again.  I went with an open mind.  Maybe they were nervous because most of the swarm had died off after a month? Or irritating conditions? Well the other hives there are very sweet and they have the same irritants. Not acceptable.

Now they have 22 frames built out. At least 4 have brood. They went into a whinging whirl when I lifted a brood frame. You know that high pitched stinging sound. I look for the queen in the tornado but they were mass-stinging my sleeves and head banging me.  Good thing I had my PPE, but now I've got to wash both my jacket and my veil.

I condensed to 2 hive bodies, pulling all empties. They even stuck like glue to guarding the empty frames!  I put the QX between the two boxes.  I dumped a pint of feed on them even though we have palm coming in. Not a heavy flow but def not all dry. Hopefully will sweeten them up.
    I'll wait a couple of days then go back with soapy water for all flying bees.  Walking bees=no soap. I have got to get that split up into nucs, and knock off Q cells/add better eggs ....before the capped brood emerges.  I'll need alcohol for the queen. I can only imagine what would explode if I squished her.   

Oh and by the way not a hive beetle in on any frame.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 08:23:16 pm »
FG,
The bees do not react to killing the queen. She does not have sting pheromones. Not to worry.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 08:57:27 pm »
Wouldn't they not smell her anymore?  Or maybe see me do it?

IDK but it seems to me a quiet hive sounds different when I lift the frame with the queen.  Like staccato "Hey-! Hey-! Hey -! Bee careful!" Almost as if they become more alert. And then I slow down to see if she's there, and whaddaya know. Voila.

But I listen very carefully.  I wish someone did more studies on the different sounds the colony makes, and individual bees make. 

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 04:40:30 pm »
We use the term "racing bees" for bees that constantly moving on the frame.
No real issue except it is difficult to find the queen. Pissy racing bees is a bad combo, queen must go.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2021, 08:29:09 pm »
We use the term "racing bees" for bees that constantly moving on the frame.
No real issue except it is difficult to find the queen. Pissy racing bees is a bad combo, queen must go.

Pissy racingbees!!!  Agreed, need a different queen, change the genetics.

Florida G:  High pitch buzz, I know exactly what you are talking about.  Occasionally, I hear the very high pitch from a single, in my face, very angry bee.  What I cant figure is what did I do to that one bee?  If I am not careful, that single bee will excite her sisters and oh boy,,, a frenzy of unwanted attention is directed at yours truly.  When I hear that high pitch, almost vibrating sound, I smoke the bee before things escalate.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 09:03:06 pm »

Oh and by the way not a hive beetle in on any frame.

So this is an interesting observation.   Because that colony of runny bees I have, they aren't particularly defensive. And as I noted before they are pretty weak -- it is a hive I would expect to find an oppression of SHB. But as in your hive, I saw none. None in propolis traps, none crawling around. Plenty of pollen stores too, which should be attractive to the beetles. But nope.
Hmmm I wonder if there is a connection. I'm expanding that apiary "in house" using just those bees to start. So will see if the next generation
> is runny
> keeps SHB out

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 10:03:22 pm »
Runny bees run faster than the SHB, and they chase the SHB out the front door! :grin:

anything